Goodwin Sands , dangerous sand banks off the E. coast of Kent, England, separated from the mainland by the roadstead called the Downs, which has an average width of about 5 1/2 m. The banks, which are loose and shifting, are divided by a narrow channel called the Swash, navigable for small boats. The northern portion is about 3 1/2 m. long, and the southern about 10 m., the average width of each being 2 1/2 m. At low water many parts are dry and firm, but with the coming of the tide the sand becomes saturated and dangerous. Lightships are stationed at their N. and S. extremities and N. of the Swash, on which bells are kept ringing in hazy weather. Many fatal shipwrecks have taken place on these sands, which are full of danger to vessels passing into the Thames or the North sea. They are said to have once formed a part of the mainland of Kent, and to have belonged to the Saxon earl Godwin shortly before the Norman conquest. They were submerged about A. D. 1200.
Goold Brown, an American grammarian, born in Providence, R. I., March 7, 1791, died at Lynn, Mass., March 31, 1857. He was a teacher for over 20 years in the city of New York. His "Institutes of English Grammar" appeared in 1823; in the same year he also published "First Lines of English Grammar." His "Grammar of English Grammars" (large 8vo, 1851) was the most extensive and complete grammar of the English language, and has continued to enjoy a high reputation. A revised edition, which he had just completed at the time of his death, appeared in 1857.
Goole , a town of Yorkshire, England, on the Ouse, 22 m. W. of Hull; pop. in 1871, 7,680. It is the terminus of the Pontefract and Goole railway, and the railway from Hull to Doncaster runs through it; and it has communication with Leeds, Manchester, and Liverpool by means of the Knottingley and Goole canal. There are here extensive docks and warehouses, and a slip for repairing vessels. Boat building, sail making, and iron founding are carried on to some extent. It contains a new church, with a lofty tower, places of worship for various dissenting denominations, and several literary and charitable institutions.
Goomtee , or Goomty (Hin. Gomati), a river of British India, rising in the district of Shah-jehanpoor, in a small lake, 19 m. E. of Pilli-bheet, lat. 28° 35' N, Ion. 80° 10' E., and after a S. E. course of 482 m., in which it traverses the territory of Oude, falling into the Ganges, on its left side, in lat. 25° 29', Ion. 83° 15'. The principal town on its banks is Lucknow, 308 m. from its mouth, to which it is navigable. It is wide, in the dry season 4 ft. deep, and it rises 15 ft. at Lucknow in the rainy season.
Goppingen , a town of Wurtemberg, on the Fils, 21 m. E. by S. of Stuttgart; pop. in 1871, 8,040. It contains a fine parish church, and an old castle with a winding stone staircase, known as Tranbensteig or "grape staircase." There is a brisk trade in wool, and manufactures of woollen and linen, toys, carriages, and other articles. About 5 m. S. of Goppingen is the watering place of Boll, with cold sulphurous springs, and a bath house belonging to the crown; and about 3 m. N. E. of the town the ruined castle of Hohenstaufen, once the seat of the Swabian house of German emperors.