Gordian Knot ,.See Gordius.
Gordon , a N. W. county of Georgia, watered by the Oostenaula river and several other streams; area, 830 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 9,268, of whom 1,530 were colored. It has a hilly surface, underlying which are beds of blue limestone. The soil is fertile. The Western and Atlantic railroad traverses it. The chief productions in 1870 were 90,181 bushels of wheat, 233,785 of Indian corn, 15,827 of oats, 11,214 of sweet potatoes, 80,316 lbs. of butter, and 35-4 bales of cotton. There were 936 horses, 3,416 cattle, 4,056 sheep, and 7,958 swine. Capital, Calhoun.
Gordon Hall, an American missionary, born at West Granville (now Tolland), Mass., April 8, 1784, died in India, March 20, 1820. He graduated at Williams college in 1808, studied theology, offered himself as a missionary to the American board, and in 1812 sailed for India, where he passed the remainder of his life. Besides ordinary missionary labor, he revised a translation of the New Testament into the Mahratta language, and published several sermons and tracts, of which the "Appeal in behalf of the Heathen" excited much attention, and in conjunction-with S. Newell, "The Conversion of the World" (2d ed., 1818).
Goree , a small island belonging to France, on the W. coast of Africa, 1 1/4 m. S. of Cape Verd, and separated from the continent by the strait of Dacar; pop. about 5,000. It is 3 m. in circumference, and is nothing more than a basaltic rock, which in some places is several hundred feet high. The fort occupies an elevated flat near the centre of the island, and the town a sandy plain at the foot of the rock. The roadstead is well sheltered, and affords safe anchorage for eight months of the year. The climate is healthy. In 1869 the imports amounted to 10,692,000, and the exports to 7,270,000 francs; there were 578 arrivals of vessels, and 000 clearances.
Gorgons , in Greek mythology, three sisters, daughters of Phoreys and Ceto, who had but one eye in common, and changed into stone whomsoever they looked upon. Homer mentions but one gorgon, which appears as a hideous phantom in Hades, and whose head, of frightful aspect, was represented on the aegis of Athena. Hesiod mentions three, Stheno, Euryale, and Medusa, who had hissing serpents for hair, brazen claws, short wings, and a single tusk-like tooth. They were placed in the garden of the Hesperides near the realm of Night, where Medusa was slain by Perseus. Virgil places the gorgons with harpies and other monsters at Pluto's palace gate.
Gorgona , an island in the Pacific, 30 m. from the coast of the United States of Colombia, to which it belongs; lat. 2° 51' N, Ion. 78° 4' W.; length from N. to S. 6 m., breadth from E. to W. 2 m. The surface is varied, now low and undulating, now swelling into mountains, one of which is 2,000 ft. above the sea. The lower portions are covered with a thick forest growth. The soil is very fertile. There are few inhabitants. It is chiefly remarkable as having been visited by Pizarro immediately prior to the conquest of Peru, and having long been a favorite resort of buccaneers.