Granville , a N. county of North Carolina, bordering on Virginia, intersected by Tar river and watered by the Neuse river; area, about 750 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 24,831, of whom 13,355 were colored. The surface is slightly hilly, and the soil generally good. The chief productions in 1870 were 110,209 bushels of wheat, 30G,113 of Indian corn, 115,593 of oats, 16,484 of Irish and 34,298 of sweet potatoes, 129,595 lbs. of butter, 2,134,228 of tobacco, and 277 bales of cotton. There were 2,722 horses, 4,073 milch cows, 4,828 other cattle, 881 sheep, and 18,986 swine; 2 iron founderies, and 39 manufactories of tobacco. The county is traversed by the Raleigh and Gaston and the Roanoke Valley railroads. Capital, Oxford.
Granville , a village of Licking co., Ohio, pleasantly situated on an affluent of Licking river, 3 m. from the Central Ohio division of the Baltimore and Ohio railroad, and 25 m. E. N. E. of Columbus; pop. in 1870, 1,109. The town is neatly built. Denison university (Baptist) was organized in 1831, and in 1872 had 10 professors and instructors, 191 students (71 collegiate), and a library of 11,000 volumes. The scientific department, organized in 1854, had 21 students. The Granville female college had 8 instructors and 111 students; and the young ladies' institute (Baptist) had 8 instructors and 115 students.
Granville , a seaport town of Normandy, France, in the department of La Manche, on the English channel, at the mouth of the Bosq, 29 m. S. W. of St. 16; pop. in 18GG, 15,622. It has a small harbor with a line granite pier capable of mounting cannon, is built in terraces formed on the side of a promontory, is surrounded with walls, and has a fort on the summit of the promontory. The town has a school of navigation, and the inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the cod and oyster fishery.