Las Casas. See Las Casas.
Las Cenizas ("the ashes"), a volcano in Guatemala, Central America, one of the group known as the volcanoes of Pacaya, in lat. 14° 21' N., lon. 90° 36' W., 19 m. S. W. of the city of Guatemala; altitude, 5,100 ft. It has not been in a state of destructive eruption since 1776, in which year it destroyed the village of Tres Rios, 9 m. distant, filling up three considerable rivers, from which the village took its name.
Las Pilas, one of the great extinct volcanoes which constitute the volcanic chain of the Marrabios, extending across the plain of Leon, in Nicaragua. It is broad and comparatively low, but has a vast crater surrounded by many smaller craters, or ancient vents. It was near the foot of this volcano, in the plain of Leon, that a volcanic orifice opened on April 12, 1850, around which was speedily accumulated a great mass of lava, cinders, stones, and ashes, forming a cone several hundred feet in height, which by its accretions promised to add another high volcano to those which stud the plain. The eruption ceased however at the end of a month, and has not since been renewed.
Lassen, a N. E. county of California, bordering on Nevada, and intersected in the N. W. by the upper Sacramento; area, 4,932 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,327. It lies E. of the Sierra Nevada mountains, and contains several lakes, the most noteworthy of which is Honey lake, which receives Susan river and Willow creek. The mountain slope is covered with pine forests; at the base are the lakes and meadows, while further E. are sage brush hills and plains. Portions of the county are adapted to agriculture and grazing. The chief productions in 1870 were 12,904 bushels of wheat, 36,497 of oats, 93,926 of barley, 59,494 lbs. of wool, and 9,120 tons of hay. There were 2,022 horses, 1,791 milch cows, 8,000 other cattle, 703 sheep, and 1,657 swine. Capital, Susanville.
Lasso Cells, the nettling organs of acalephs and polyps, called cnidce. See Actinia.
L'Assomption, a S. W. county of Quebec, Canada, bounded S. E. by the St. Lawrence river; area, 248 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 15,473, of whom 14,979 were of French origin or descent. It is watered by the Marcouche, Achigan, and L'Assomption rivers. Capital, L'Assomption.
Latinus, a king of Latium, and father of Lavinia, whom he gave in marriage to AEneas. (See .AEneas.)
Latitudinarians, the name given specially to certain theologians of the Anglican church, in the latter part of the 17th century, who were generally low churchmen of Arminian principles, aiming to give a philosophical tone to theological discussions, and admitting a greater latitude of doctrine than was allowed either by the Presbyterians and Independents or by the stricter Episcopalians. Most of them were connected with the university of Cambridge. Among the more distinguished of them were Henry More, Cudworth, Chilling-worth, Hales, Wilkins, Gale, and Tillotson. - See the " Principles and Practices of certain Modern Divines of the Church of England, abusively called Latitudinarians, truly Represented and Defended by Way of Dialogue," by Fowler, bishop of Gloucester (London, 1070).