Onega, a lake of N. W. Russia, in the government of Olonetz, between lat. 60° 50' and 63° N.; extreme length 160 m., greatest breadth 50 m.; area, 4,000 sq. m. Its S. end is about 100 m. E. of the middle of Lake Ladoga, next to which it is the largest body of fresh water in Europe. The N. part is very irregular in shape. The surface is dotted with islands, the shores are generally rocky, and the water is clear. Navigation is impeded by shoals and sand banks. At its S. W. extremity it is connected with Lake Ladoga by the river Svir; and the Murinskoi canal unites its affluent the Vytegra with a tributary of Lake Bielo, the outlet of which flows into the Volga. It is, however, unconnected with the river Onega, which rises in Lake Latcha, on the S. border of Olonetz, and flows through Archangel into Onega bay, an inlet of the White sea.
See Notes, John Humphrey.
Oneiza, Or Anciza, a city of Nedjed, Arabia, situated in lower Kasim, about 250 m. E. N. E. of Medina; pop. in 1862, about 25,000. It is surrounded by double walls of brick, the inner range encircling the town, which is compactly built, and the outer circle, with towers and moat, protecting the gardens and palm groves which cover the intervening space. It was for centuries the capital of the province of Kasim and one of the most important commercial centres of inner Arabia; but in 1802 it revolted against the authority of the Waha-bee ruler of Nedjed, and after a long siege was carried by assault in the spring of 1803, when many of its inhabitants were massacred, and the best part of it was destroyed.
See Dall' Ongaro, Francesco.
Onno Klopp, a German historian, born in Leer, East Friesland, Oct. 9, 1822. He studied at Bonn, Berlin, and Gottingen, and from 1845 to 1858 was a teacher at the gymnasium of Osnabruck. He was employed in 1866 by King George of Hanover in various missions, and followed him into exile. His works include Geschichte Ostfrieslands (3 vols., Hanover, 1854-8), Konig Friedrich II. von Preus-sen und die deutsche Nation (Schaffhausen, 1860), and Tilly im Dreissigjuhrigen Kriege (2 vols., Stuttgart, 1861). He edited, under the auspices of the king, the works of Leibnitz relating to history and politics (5 vols., Hanover, 1864-'6), which is to be continued, though interrupted by the overthrow of the king of Hanover.
Onslow, a S. E. county of North Carolina, bordering on the Atlantic ocean, and drained by New river; area, about 700 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 7,569, of whom 2,396 were colored. The surface is level, and comprises extensive swamps and sandy pine barrens. The soil is productive. The chief productions in 1870 were 117,420 bushels of Indian corn, 31,385 of peas and beans, 62,186 of sweet potatoes, 881 bales of cotton, and 10,590 lbs. of rice. There were 469 horses, 323 mules and asses, 1,700 milch cows, 2,956 other cattle, 1,849 sheep, and 8,786 swine; 4 manufactories of tar and turpentine, and 7 flour mills. Capital, Onslow Court House.