Poaching

See Game Laws.

Podlachia (Pol. Podlesie)

See Siedlce.

Poetry

Poetry (Gr. Poetry 1300613 , to make), imaginative composition in metrical or highly fanciful Ianguage. In this work the history of poetry is treated in connection with the literature of the several nations of the world, and with the biography of individual poets.

Poggy Islands

See Nassau Islands.

Poinsett

Poinsett, a N. E. county of Arkansas, bordered E. by the St. Francis river and Lake St. Francis, and drained by L'Anguille and several other rivers; area, about 750 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,720, of whom 225 were colored. It has a level surface and fertile soil. The chief productions in 1870 were 36,670 bushels of Indian corn, and 892 bales of cotton. There were 301 horses, 733 cattle, and 3,379 swine. Capital, Harrisburgh.

Point De Galle

Point De Galle, a fortified town on a rocky promontory at the S. W. extremity of the island of Ceylon, 65 m. S. S. E. of Colombo; pop. in 1871, 4,954. It is the seat of government of the southern province of the colony of Ceylon; but its chief importance is as the coaling depot and port for transshipping passengers and goods from one line to another, for the steamers that ply between Calcutta, Australia, and Suez, Bombay, Penang, Singapore, and China, with branches to the Dutch and Spanish possessions in the Indian archipelago. The native artisans are celebrated for their skill in making gold and silver ornaments.

Point Levi

See Levis.

Pointe Coupee

Pointe Coupee, a S. E. parish of Louisiana, bordered E. by the Mississippi river and W. by the Atchafalaya; area, 576 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 12,981, of whom 9,229 were colored.

It has a low and level surface, subject to overflow by the Mississippi, and a fertile soil. The chief productions in 1870 were 138,010 bushels of Indian corn, 9,744 bales of cotton, 1,548 hogsheads of sugar, and 113,210 gallons of molasses. There were 612 horses, 1,537 mules and asses, 1,586 milch cows, 1,920 other cattle, 1,257 sheep, and 1,584 swine. Capital, Pointe Coupee.

Pointe-A-Pitre

Pointe-A-Pitre, a city of the island of Guadeloupe, "West Indies, on the S. W. coast of Grande-Terre, at the S. entrance of the river Salee; pop. about 19,000. Its harbor, which is strongly defended, is one of the best and safest in the Antilles. The city is regularly built, and its streets are broad, straight, and well paved. There are three public squares, fine quays, and many handsome buildings, mostly of stone. Pointe-a-Pitre is one of the chief commercial centres of the Antilles, and almost all the trade of the colony is done through it. Its chief exports are sugar, molasses, brandy, cacao, cassia, coffee, cabinet and dye woods, indigo, tortoise shell, preserved fruits, and rum; imports, mostly manufactured goods and provisions. Pointe-a-Pi-tre was founded in 1768. In 1780 it was nearly destroyed by fire, and in 1843 by an earthquake. In 1871 another disastrous fire burned a large part of the city.