Sibour

Sibour,Marie Dominique Auguste, a French prelate, born at St. Paul-Trois-Chateaux, Drome, April 4, 1792, assassinated in Paris, Jan. 3, 1857. He was educated at Avignon and at Paris, was for a time professor in the seminary of St. Nicholas, du Chardonnet in Paris, was next vicar to the parish of St. Sulpice and to the chapel of the missions etrangeres, in 1822 became canon of the church of Nimes, in 1838 vicar general of that diocese, in 1840 bishop of Digne, in 1848 archbishop of Paris, as successor to Affre, and in 1852 a senator. In 1857, while opening the yearly nine days' devotion in honor of St. Genevieve in the church of St. Etienne du Mont, he was stabbed to the heart by a priest named Verger, whom he had recently suspended. He was distinguished for religious and charitable activity, and published Institutions diocesains (2 vols., 1845).

Sickle

See Scythe.

Sickle-Bill

See Curlew.

Sicyon (Now Vasilika)

Sicyon (Now Vasilika), one of the most ancient cities of Greece, in the Peloponnesus, originally on a plain near the Corinthian gulf. Having been destroyed, it was rebuilt by Demetrius Poliorcetes on a hill between the Aso-pus and Helisson, about 10 m. N. W. of Corinth. The streets, laid out at right angles, are still traceable. Its territory was called Sicyo-nia. It was one of the Dorian states, and was ruled by tyrants for about a century after 676 B. C. It joined the Persians in their wars, was repeatedly assailed by the Athenians, and favored the Spartans in the Peloponnesian conflict. Aratus, its general, united it to the Achaean league in 251. It was long a chief seat of Grecian art, and had an eminent school, founded by Eupompus and including Apelles and Pamphilus, and was the model of taste and fashion in dress for all Greece.

Sidereal Time

See Day.

Sidney

Sidney, a port of entry and the capital of Cape Breton co., Nova Scotia, the chief town of the island of Cape Breton and its capital when a separate colony, situated in the E. part of the island, 195 m. N. E. of Halifax; lat. 46° 18' N., Ion. 60° 9' W.; pop. in 1871, 2,900. The harbor is one of the finest in the world. In the vicinity are rich mines of bituminous coal, which arc connected with the town by railway. There is considerable trade with Newfoundland and St. Pierre. Sydney contains an iron foundery, a tannery, a boot factory, ship yards, three branch banks, a court house, a masonic hall, a weekly newspaper, and churches of six denominations. The value of imports for the year ending June 30, 1874, was $70,554; exports, $588,935.

Sidney Rigdon

See Mormons, vol. xi., p. 833.

Siedlce

I. A W. Government Of Russia

A W. Government Of Russia, in the kingdom of Poland, bordering on the governments of Lomza, Warsaw, Radom, Lublin, Volhynia, and Grodno; area, 5,534 sq. m.; pop. in 1872, 543,392. It is level and fertile. The chief river is the Bug, which forms the E. and N. E. frontier. The principal towns are Siedlce, Miendzyrzecz, and Wlodawa. The government embraces the principal portions of the former palatinate of Podlachia. The more ancient Polish territory of the same name, however, lay mainly between the middle Bug and the Niemen.

II. A Town

A Town, capital of the government, 51 m. E. S. E. of Warsaw, with which it is connected by rail; pop. in 1867, 10,013. It has a fine palace and town hall, distilleries, sugar refineries, and manufactories of agricultural implements. During the wars between the Russians and Poles it was repeatedly taken and retaken.