Thespis, the founder of Greek tragedy, a native of Icaria in Attica, lived in the time of Pisistratus (about 540 B. C). The ancient traditions represent him as the inventor of tragedy, and to him is also ascribed by some the invention of masks. According to one account, Thespis was in" the habit of travelling through Attica at the time of the festival of Bacchus in a wagon, and upon this portable stage performed comic plays. It is also said that he found tragedy already existing in Athens, but made in it the simple and important alteration of introducing an actor for the sake of giving rest to the chorus. Nothing which he wrote is extant, but the titles of four of his tragedies have been preserved.
Thetis, in Greek mythology, the mistress and chorus leader of the 50 Nereids, the wife of Peleus and mother of Achilles. She dwelt in the depths of the sea with her father Nereus, and was sought in marriage by both Jupiter and Neptune; but the gods relinquished their suit when Themis declared that the son of Thetis should be more illustrious than his father. At her wedding with Peleus all the gods and goddesses were invited, excepting Eris, who revenged herself by throwing the apple of discord among the guests. (See Paris, and ACHILLES.) She had a temple in Thessaly, and was worshipped in Sparta and Messenia.
Theza, Or Tesa, a fortified town of Morocco, on the Wad el-Asfar (Yellow river), or Sebu, about 60 m. E. of Fez; lat. 34° 9' N., Ion. 3° 55' W.; pop. about 5,000, of whom 800 are Jews. Its great mosque is a fine building, supported in the interior by antique monolithic columns. Theza is the centre of the trade between Algiers, Tlemcen, and Fez, and caravan roads lead from it to Fighig and Tafilet.
Thiers, a town of Auvergne, France, in the department of Puy-de-Dome, on the Durolle, 23 m. E. N. E. of Clermont; pop. in 1872, 16,635. It has two interesting churches, and is chiefly noted for extensive manufactories of cutlery. Paper, playing cards, candles, ribbons, and thread are also manufactured.
See States General.
Thirston, a S. W. county of Washington territory, bounded N. E. by the Nisqually river, and W. by the Coast range; area, 672 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 2,246. Much of the surface is mountainous, but there are several rich valleys. An arm of Puget sound extends into the N. E. part, and it is drained by the Des Chutes river and other streams. The Pacific division of the Northern Pacific railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 10,602 bushels of wheat, 1,778 of rye, 17,515 of oats, 18,375 of potatoes, 16,511 lbs. of wool, 40,425 of butter, and 3,013 tons of hay. There were 788 horses, 1,134 milch cows, 1,973 other cattle, 4,192 sheep, and 788 swine; 2 flour mills, 1 tannery, 1 currying establishment, and 3 saw mills. Capital, Olym-pia, which is also the capital of the territory..