Timothy Woodbridge

See Blind.

Timuquans

Timuquans, a tribe of Indians in Florida, belonging to the Choctaw family, formerly occupying the coast above St. Augustine. The Franciscans established missions among them in 1592, and though these were checked by the massacre of several of the missionaries by the heathen party in 1597, they were revived and continued till the destruction of the missions and mission Indians by Carolina and Georgia in the border wars. Several works for the use of the Timuquan missions and a grammar, chiefly by Father Francis Pareja, a Mexican, were printed in the 17th century; and petitions signed by the chiefs in 1688 show that they had all been educated to some extent. Near the close of the century Dickenson found the missions in a thriving condition and acting as post houses on the route to the English colonies.

Tinghai

See Chusan.

Tinkers

See Dunkers.

Tinoceras, Or Titanotherium

Tinoceras, Or Titanotherium, a fossil mammal of the order dinocerata, discovered by Prof. O. C. Marsh in the eocene of Wyoming territory, in 1870. It was as large as an elephant, and had many characters of the proboscidians, with three separate pairs of horns, and large decurved canines like the walrus; it also had characters of both the perissodactyl and artiodactyl ungulates. These animals have been named eobasileus and loxolophodon by Prof. Cope, and uintatherium by Prof. Leidy. ("American Naturalist," vol. vii., 1873).

Tippah

Tippah, a N. county of Mississippi, bordering on Tennessee, drained by the Hatchie and Tallahatchie rivers and Tippah creek; area, about 500 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 20,727, of whom 5,091 were colored. The surface is undulating, and the soil fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 37,429 bushels of wheat, 582,988 of Indian corn, 15,255 of oats, 43,125 of sweet potatoes, 15,457 lbs. of wool, 188,439 of butter, and 6,307 bales of cotton. There were 3,116 horses, 2,010 mules and asses, 13,761 cattle, 9,942 sheep, 32,629 swine, and 9 saw mills. Capital, Ripley.

Tiresias

Tiresias, a Greek soothsayer, born in Thebes, the son of Eueres and Chariclo, and fabled to have lived through nine generations of men, but blind from his seventh year. His loss of sight was ascribed by one account to the fact that he disclosed to mortals what they should not know; by another, to his having seen Minerva bathing, who blinded him by sprinkling water upon him. In compensation, she gave him a staff by which he could guide his steps as safely as by sight, and ability to understand the voices of birds and thus know futurity. His oracle was at Orchomenus.

Tiryns

Tiryns, one of the oldest cities of Greece, in Argolis, the site of which is 2 in. N. of Nauplia. The name is supposed to be an ancient form of τύρρις, a tower or castle. It was founded by Proetus, and said to have been surrounded with walls by the Cyclops. These Avails are the finest existing specimens of the military architecture of the heroic age of Greece. The ruins at present occupy the lowest hill of several which rise out of the plain, and the entire circuit of the walls enclosing the citadel is still preserved to some extent, being from 20 to 25 ft. wide and 350 yards in circumference. On the E. side of the hill are two towers, and the S. E. part of the wall has a remarkable covered gallery 36 ft. long and 5 ft. broad. In 468 B. C. Tiryns was entirely destroyed by the Argives.