An eastern county of Ontario, Canada, bounded N. by the Ottawa river and intersected by the Rideau river; area, 647 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 21,739, of whom 16,-774 were of Irish origin or descent. It is traversed by a railroad connecting Ottawa with Prescott on the St. Lawrence, and by the Rideau canal from N. to S. The county contains valuable timber and much grand scenery. At Ottawa, in the Ottawa river, are the Chaudiere falls (see Ottawa), below which the river is spanned by a suspension bridge connecting the provinces of Ontario and Quebec. There are also two falls in the Rideau river at Ottawa. Lumber forms the chief industry. Capital, Ottawa. II. A western county of New Brunswick, Canada, bounded W. by the state of Maine, and watered by the river St. John and its numerous tributaries; area, 3,008 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 19,938. The surface presents many irregularities, the elevations sometimes rising into mountains. On the secondary banks of the rivers there are broad stretches called intervales. The forests are exceedingly fine, and have been largely drawn upon for timber for ship building and export.

Capital, Woodstock.