Chertsey (Anglo-Saxon, Ceortes Eye, or island), a town of England, in Surrey, situated on a slip of land between the right bank of the Thames and the brook from Virginia water, 22 m. S. W. of London; pop. in 1871, 9,305. A stone bridge with seven arches here connects the counties of Surrey and Middlesex. The town is irregularly laid out, but the streets are paved, and most of the houses are of brick, and it is surrounded by villas. The parish church of St. Anne, partly rebuilt in 1806, has a square embattled tower and a tablet in memory of Charles James Fox, who resided in the neighborhood. The poet Cowley secluded himself in the latter part of his life in the so-called Porch house, Guildford street, where he died. There are a number of educational, charitable, and other institutions, among which is one endowed in 1725 by Sir William Perkins, providing hundreds of children with education, and a number of them also with clothing. The principal trade of the town is in malt, flour, tiles, and bricks, of which latter articles great quantities are made. Vegetables are raised extensively for the London market, and there are annual cattle and sheep fairs, and weekly markets. The town grew out of a monastery founded in 666, and rebuilt in 964 by King Edgar and the Benedictine monks.