Danbiry, a borough in the town of the same name, one of the county seats of Fairfield co., Connecticut, 28 m. W. by N. of New Haven, and 53 m. N. N. E. of New York; pop. of the town in 1870, 8,753; of the village, 6,542. It is the terminus of the Danbury and Norwalk railroad, and of a branch of the Housatonic line. Still river, an affluent of the Housatonic, flows through the town and furnishes good water power. The village is built principally on a single street, 1 1/2 m. long, and presents a handsome appearance. Lake Kenosha, about 2 m. distant, is a favorite resort for boating and fishing. From Deer hill in the vicinity a fine view of the village is obtained. It has long been noted for its manufacture of hats, the first factory having been established in 1780. There are now ten companies engaged in the business, having an aggregate capital of $500,-000, of which four make 216,000 hats a year. The Danbury shirt company produces 230,000 shirts annually. The manufacture of sewing machines is also carried on. There are two national banks with $577,000 capital, a public library, a high school, and nine churches. - Danbury was settled in 1684. In 1771 Robert Sandeman, from whom the sect of Sandema-nians derives its name, died here.
The town was attacked and burned by the British in 1777, when Gen. Wooster, the American commander, was mortally wounded. In 1854 a monument was erected to his memory, and another has recently been raised in honor of the citizens of Danbury who fell in the civil war.