Gratz, Or Gratz a town of Austria, capital of the province of Styria, on the Mur, 90 m.

S. S. W. of Vienna; pop. in 1870, 80,732. It consists of the town proper, which is on the left bank of the river, and is fortified, and of four suburbs connected with the town and with each other by bridges. The chief public buildings are a magnificent Gothic cathedral erected by the emperor Frederick III. in 1456; St. Catharine's chapel, built as a mausoleum by Ferdinand II. whose remains repose here; the Landhaus, where the diet of Styria holds its sessions; the old palace of the Styrian dukes; the university, founded in 1586, subsequently abolished, restored in 1827. and having in 1873-'4 70 professors and 975 students, with a library of about 70,000 volumes and 7,500 MSS.; the Johanneum, an institution established in 1811 by Archduke John for the encouragement of the arts, sciences, and manufactures of Styria; and the refectory or convicte, the largest building in Gratz, formerly belonging to the Jesuits, but now a collegiate school. It is the seat of a Roman Catholic bishop, who bears the title of bishop of Seckau. There are 22 Catholic churches, a Protestant church, and 10 convents.

The principal manufactures are cotton, woollen, silk, hardware, leather, and paper.