Ingham (a S. county of the S. peninsula of Michigan, drained by the head waters of Grand river and by several smaller streams; area, 560 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 25,268. It has a nearly level surface, timbered with sugar maple, beech, etc, and a fertile soil. Coal and iron ore have been found in the county. The Grand River Valley and the Jackson, Lansing, and Saginaw divisions of the Michigan Central railroad, the Lansing division of the Michigan Southern, the Detroit, Lansing, and Lake Michigan, and the Peninsular railroads traverse it. The chief productions in 1870 were 471,392 bushels of wheat, 382,164 of Indian corn, 233,594 of oats, 240,324 of potatoes, 281,562 lbs. of wool, 779,-496 of butter, and 36,606 tons of hay. There were 5,954 horses, 6,535 milch cows, 1,200 working oxen, 8,138 other cattle, 62,407 sheep, and 11,491 swine; 24 manufactories of carriages, 4 of brick, 7 of clothing, 4 of cooperage, 12 of furniture, 6 of iron castings, 4 of machinery, 10 of saddlery and harness, 3 of sash, doors, and blinds, 6 of tin, copper, and sheet-iron ware, 1 of washing machines, etc, 1 of woollen goods, 3 planing mills, 28 saw mills, 4 breweries, 3 tanneries, 3 currying establishments, and 6 flour mills.