Kaschau (Hun. Kassa), a town of N. Hungary, capital of the county of Abauj, 133 m. N. E. of Pesth; pop. in 1870, 21,742, consisting of Slovaks, Magyars, Germans, and Jews. It is situated on the Hernad, in a beautiful valley enclosed with sloping vineyards. It is the seat of a Roman Catholic bishop, is one of the best built towns of Hungary, has. important schools and other institutions, and is the chief commercial link between Pesth and Debreczin on one side and Cracow and Lem-berg on the other, with all of which places it is connected by railway lines. Its manufactures are unimportant. The cathedral of Kaschau, a large structure in old Gothic, is the finest building of the country in that style. Kaschau was surrounded with walls in the latter half of the 13th century, and subsequently played an important part in the wars of Hungary, especially during the struggles of the Protestants against Austria. In the last war two battles were fought before the town on Dec. 11, 1848, and Jan. 4, 1849, in both of which Gen. Schlick defeated the Hungarian troops, who were mostly undisciplined militia.