Le Creuzot, a town of France, in the department of Saone-et-Loire, 11 m. S. E. of Autun; pop. in 1866, 23,872. The town and its environs contain the most extensive iron founderies, coal mines, and machine factories in France, which about 1837 were acquired by Messrs. Schneider and co. from an English company. The population was quadrupled between 1846 and 1866, and more than 10,000 persons are employed in the works, which occupy over 500 acres, about 75 of which are covered by workshops. There are about 200 coke ovens and over 20 blast furnaces, besides founderies, locomotive factories, and copper works. The principal products are locomotives, steamboat engines of the largest size, and vast quantities of iron, coal, rails, sheet-iron and iron ware, and instruments of almost all descriptions. A railway of about 6 m. conveys the products to the central canal or canal of Charolais. Great attention is paid to the comfort, medical treatment, and education of the workmen and their families, about 3,000 children attending the industrial school. The works were known at the end of the 18th century, and a large foundery of cannon and cartridges existed here during the revolutionary wars.
An extensive manufactory of crystals for chandeliers, rivalling the Bohemian and English establishments, also existed here for a long time, but has been removed to Baccarat. Le Creuzot has attained its present importance through the enterprise of Eugene Schneider, president of the corps legislatif under the second empire, and of his elder brother. Strikes of the workmen took place in January and March, 1870, in consequence of a proposition made by the resident manager relative to the benefit fund of the establishment. The former was suppressed only after the arrival of 3,000 troops and the arrest of a few ringleaders. The latter kept Le Creuzot and other centres of industry in a state of excitement for nearly six months.