Linz, Or Lintz, a town of Austria, capital of the province of Upper Austria, at the confluence of the Traun with the Danube, which is here crossed by a wooden bridge 1,800 ft. long, 93 m. W. of Vienna; pop. in 1870, 30,-538. It has two suburbs, one of which is separated from the city proper by the Danube. The former fortifications, constructed in 1831-'6, consisted of 32 detached forts, covering a circuit of 9 miles, and communicating by covered ways; they were rendered useless by recent improvements in artillery, and have been to a great extent demolished. The Land-haus, formerly a Franciscan convent, is now occupied by the diet of Upper Austria and the government offices. It was modernized after the fire of 1800. A modern Gothic cathedral was erected in 1863. The Hofburg is built on the site of the ancient archclucal palace, destroyed by fire in 1800. There is a government carpet and cloth manufactory, founded by Maria Theresa, and manufactures of woollen, linen, silk, and cotton goods. There are two annual fairs, each of which lasts a fortnight. Linz is the seat of a bishop, and has a theological seminary, a lyceum, a gymnasium, a surgical school, a national museum containing a natural history collection, and educational institutions of a high grade.
The vicinity is noted for beautiful scenery.