Lorenzo Bartolini, an Italian sculptor, born at Savignano, near Prato, Tuscany, in 1777, died in Florence, Jan. 20, 1850. He took lessons from a French artist in Florence, and went to Paris in 1797, where his bass relief of "Cleobis and Biton" won a prize from the academy. He became a great favorite of Napoleon, who charged him in 1808 with the establishment of an academy at Carrara, from which city he was expelled after the overthrow of the emperor, whom he accompanied to Elba. After the battle of Waterloo he returned to Florence, where he directed the department of sculpture, and was professor in the academy of fine arts. He was regarded in Italy as next to Canova in eminence. He excelled especially by his graceful drapery, and by his exquisite modelling of the flesh. In the Pitti palace at Florence is his masterwork, a marble group representing Charity. Among his numerous other works in that city are statues of the Venus de' Medici and of Machiavelli.
At Milan is his statue of "Faith in God," erected by the marchioness Trivulzio in commemoration of her husband; in the cathedral of Lausanne is his monument of Lady Harriet Stratford Canning; and his Bacchante is In the duke of Devonshire's collection in England. In Paris he made busts of Madame de Stael, Lord Byron, the countess Guiccioli, Thiers, and many other prominent persons, besides the monument of Prince Nicholas Demidoff and the marble statues of Arnina, nymph of the Arno (1841), and of "The Nymph with the Scorpion" (1845).