Massillon, a city of Stark co., Ohio, on the Tuscarawas river and the Ohio canal, at the intersection of the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne, and Chicago, the Lake Shore and Tuscarawas Valley, and the Massillon and Cleveland railroads, 95 m. N. E. of Columbus, and 50 m. S. of Cleveland; pop. in 1860, 3,819; in 1870, 5,185; in 1874, estimated by local authorities at 7,000. It is regularly laid out, is substantially and compactly built, and contains many handsome residences, and an opera house costing $100,000. It is surrounded by one of the most productive coal fields of the state, and the coal obtained here has a wide reputation. The Massillon white sandstone, which is largely quarried, is shipped to all parts of the country. Large shipments of iron ore, wool, Hour, grain, etc, are also made. There are two blast furnaces, a rolling mill, founderies and machine shops, and manufactories of agricultural implements, iron bridges, and boilers. The city contains three banking houses, two large union school houses, a primary school building, a charity school, two weekly newspapers, a library belonging to the young men's Christian association, and nine churches.
It was laid out in 1826.