A S. E. County Of Tennessee, bounded N W. by the Tennessee river; area, 215 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,511, of whom 436 were colored. The surface is hilly and the soil fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 29,603 bushels of wheat, 176,733 of Indian corn, 18,776 of oats, 47,101 lbs. of butter, and 456 bales of cotton. There were 996 horses, 1,069 milch cows, 1,719 other cattle, 4,392 sheep, and 8,098 swine. Capital, Decatur.
A S. E. County Of Ohio, bordering on West Virginia, and bounded E. by the Ohio river; area, 425 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 31,465. It has a broken surface and clayey soil. There are mines of coal along the river, and large salt works. The chief productions in 1870 were 140,267 bushels of wheat, 479,933 of Indian corn, 102,980 of oats, 163,132 of potatoes, 91,034 lbs. of wool, 489,087 of butter, and 19,464 tons of hay. There were 4,929 horses, 5,360 milch cows, 8,968 other cattle, 28,444 sheep, and 13,253 swine; 6 manufactories of furniture, 1 of forged and rolled iron, 1 of nails and spikes, 2 of iron castings, 2 of engines and boilers, 10 of salt, 1 of woollen goods, 6 tanneries, 12 saw mills, 1 planing mill, 7 flour mills, and 1 ship yard. Capital, Pomeroy.