A X. County Of New Jersey, bounded N. E. by the Pequonnock river, E. and S. E. by the Passaic, and drained by Rock-away and Whippany rivers and the head branches of the Raritan; area, 650 sq. m.; pop. in 1870,48,137. It is traversed by ranges of hills some of which, as Schooley's and West Towbridge mountains, reach a Considerable deration. It abounds in copper, iron, zinc, marble, limestone, sandstone, and manganese; there are 27 iron mines, which give employment to a great number of the inhabitants. It is intersected by the Morris canal and the Morris and Essex railroad, the latter passing through the capital. The chief productions in 1870 were 80,897 bushels of wheat, 23,776 of rye, 608,024 of Indian corn, 290,721 of oats, 49,-of buckwheat, 168,611 of potatoes, 18,361 lbs. of wool, 535,274 of butter, and 34,85!) tons of hay. There were 5,170 horses, 8,595 milch cows, 5883 other cattle, 8,770 sheep, and 7,046, swine; 4 manufactories of brick 13 of carriages and wagons, 1 of cotton goods, 13 of iron in various forms, 3 of machinery, 4 of Paper, 1 of roofing materials, 5 of sash, doors and blinds, 4 of woollen goods, 5 tanneries, 4 distilleries, 24 flour mills, and 15 saw mills.
An E. Central County Of Kansas, watered by the Neosho river and other streams; area, 655 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 2,225. It is traversed by the Missouri, Kansas, and Texas railroad. The soil in parts is fertile. The W. portion is level and destitute of timber. The chief productions in 1870 were 41,714 bushels of wheat, 89,815 of Indian corn, 15,341 of oats, 17,549 of potatoes, 30,590 lbs. of butter, and 4,991 tons of hay. There were 1,033 horses, 3,604 cattle, 682 sheep, and 642 swine. Capital, Council Grove.
Morris, a city and the capital of Grundy co., Illinois, on the Illinois and Michigan canal, and the Chicago, Rock Island, and Pacific railroad, 53 m. S. W. of Chicago; pop. in 1870, 3,138. It is the shipping point of the county, and has an important trade in grain. It is the seat of St. Angela's academy, an institution for the superior instruction of females, under the control of the Roman Catholics, which was established in 1857. In 1873-'4 it had 10 instructors and 190 students. The city has graded public schools, including a high school, two national banks, two weekly newspapers, and several churches.