Friendly Islands, or Tonga Group, lie 250 miles ESE. of Fiji, number 32 inhabited and about 150 small islands, and consist of three sub-groups, with a collective area of only 385 sq. m. Tonga-tabu (130 sq. m.) is the largest; and next in importance are Eooa, Vavu, Namuka and Lefuka, Tofoa, Late, and Kao. The great majority are of coral formation; but some are volcanic; there are several active volcanoes, such as Tofoa (2781 feet) and Late (1787); and earthquakes are frequent. A treaty was concluded with Germany in 1876, with Great Britain in 1879 ; and a Berlin convention (1886) provides for the neutrality of this archipelago. The Friendly Islands were discovered by Tasman in 1643, but named by Cook, who visited them in 1777. Both these navigators found the soil highly cultivated, and the people apparently unprovided with arms. Among the products of the islands are copra, tropical fruits, coffee, sponges, cocoa-nuts, and arrowroot. The flora resembles that of the Fiji group; but the native animals are very few. The Friendly Islands were first visited by missionaries in 1797 ; in 1827 the work of evangelisation fell into the hands of the Wesleyan Methodists ; and now almost all the islanders (who, unlike the Fijians, belong to the fair Polynesian stock) are Wes-leyans. Many can speak English, and schools are numerous. In mental development, skill in house-building, and in the preparation of weapons, dress, etc, they are superior to other South Sea islanders. They are, however, decreasing in numbers; once estimated at 50,000, they had dwindled to 18,960 in 1900. The various islands in 1845 were brought under the rule of one chief, King George (1818-93), and in 1899 recognised as practically a British dependency. See Basil Thomson's Savage Island (1902).