Connemara

Connemara (Con-ne-mah'ra), a wild district forming the westernmost division of Galway.

Connor

Connor, an Antrim village, 5 miles S. of Bally-mena. Here Edward Bruce defeated the English (1315). There is a diocese of Connor.

Consett

Consett, a Durham town, on the Derwent, 8 1/2 miles N. of Wolsingham, with ironworks and coal-pits. Pop. 10,000.

Constantia

Constantia, a district of Cape Colony, in South Africa, lying on the eastern and north-eastern slopes of Table Mountain range, and distant from Capetown 7 miles by rail. It produces red and white wines of delicious aroma.

Constantina

Constantina, a town of Spain, in Andalusia, 40 miles NNE. of Seville, with silver-mines. Pop. 11,503.

Constantino

Constantino, capital of the easternmost province of Algeria, is very picturesquely situated on a nearly isolated chalk rock, 830 feet high, 40 miles SW. of its port Philippeville by rail. It is surrounded by walls, and consists of French and Arab quarters. The ancient capital of Numidia, called Carta by the Carthaginians, Cirta by the Romans, it was destroyed about 311 a.d., but was soon rebuilt by Constantine the Great, from whom it derives its present name. It manufactures woollen cloths, saddlery, leather goods, and carpets, and is a great trade centre. Pop. 53,000, of whom 20,000 are French and 3500 Jews.

Constanza

Constanza. See Kustendji.

Contrexeville

Contrexeville, a small place in the centre of the Vosges department, with alkaline mineral waters. Pop. 850.

Conversano

Conversano (Kon-ver-sah'no), a cathedral city of South Italy, 18 miles SE. of Ban'. Pop. 11,006.

Cooch Behar

Cooch Behar. See Behar.

Cook

Cook, Mount, or Aorangi, one of the Southern Alps, on the western side of the South Island of New Zealand. It is 12,349 feet high, and is covered with perpetual snow.

Cook Islands

Cook Islands, or Hervey Archipelago, a cluster lying midway between the Society and Navigator groups, are near 20° S. lat., and 158° W. long., some being volcanic, some coralline. The principal are Raratonga, Mangaia, Aitutaki, and Atiou. The natives are about 6000 in all. The islands were made a British protectorate in 1888, and annexed to New Zealand in 1901.

Cooks Garth

Cook's Garth, Captain Cook's birthplace, in the North Riding of Yorkshire, 7 miles W. of Guisborough.

Cookstown

Cookstown, a town of County Tyrone, 53 miles W. of Belfast by rail, with manufactures of linen and bleach-works. Pop. 3541.

Cook Strait

Cook Strait, discovered by Captain Cook in 1769, separates the North and South Islands of New Zealand, and is 20 to 80 miles wide.

Cooktown

Cooktown, a town in the north of Queensland, 1050 miles NNW. of Brisbane, already one of the chief ports of the colony, though only founded in 1873. It is built along l 1/2 mile of the southern bank of the Endeavour River, and is almost environed by hills. There are already handsome public buildings, and a monument (1889) to Captain Cook, who beached his ship here in 1770. Near there are gold-diggings and tin-mines, with pearl and trepang fisheries. Pop. 2480.