St Thomas, a volcanic island of Africa belonging to Portugal, lies in the Gulf of Guinea 170 miles W. of the mouth of the river Gaboon. Its southern extremity almost touches the equator. Measuring 32 miles by 21, it has an area of 360 sq. m.; pop. nearly 40,000, including 4000 whites. Although it rises to 6000 feet, it is very unhealthy. Coffee, cocoa, pepper, cinnamon, maize, indigo, etc. are the products. Chief town, St Thomas (pop. 3000), on the NE. coast, the seat of a bishop. The island was discovered in 1470, and colonised in 1493 by the Portuguese, to whom it reverted after a Dutch occupation from 1641 to 1844. See Crouch, Glimpses of Feverland (1889).
St Thomas, one of the Virgin Islands in the West Indies, belongs to Denmark, and lies 36 miles E. of Puerto Rico. Area, 33 sq. m.; pop. 14,389 (nearly 600 Jews). English is the language of the educated classes. The surface is hilly (1555 feet) and the soil poor. The port is Charlotte Amalie or St Thomas (pop. 12,000).