A W. County Of West Virginia, intersected by branches of the Kanawha and De Kalb rivers; area, about 450 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 7,232, of whom 23 were colored. The surface is generally hilly, and in the N. part mountainous, and the soil fertile. Iron ore and coal are found. The chief productions in 1870 were 24,087 bushels of wheat, 160,912 of Indian corn, 28,489 of oats, 4,732 tons of hay, 9,907 lbs. of tobacco, 26,828 of wool, 116,094 of butter, 6,922 of flax, and 28,836 gallons of sorghum molasses. There were 1,540 horses, 1,858 milch cows, 3,477 other cattle, 12,973 sheep, and 7,112 swine. Capital, Spencer.
An E. County Of Tennessee, intersected by the Tennessee river and drained by its branches, the Clinch and Holston; area, about 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 15,622, of whom 2,128 were colored. Along the W. border is a range of the Cumberland mountains. The soil is generally fertile. The East Tennessee, Virginia, and Georgia railroad passes through it. The chief productions in 1870 were 74,814 bushels of wheat, 504,590 of Indian corn, 112,029 of oats, 1,671 tons of hay, 14,027 lbs. of wool, 163,394 of butter, and 13,080 gallons of sorghum molasses. There were 3,390 horses, 3,064 milch cows, 5,623 other cattle, 10,552 sheep, and 17,-661 swine; 1 manufactory of cotton goods, 1 of pig iron, 9 of tanned and 8 of curried leather, 4 wool-carding and cloth-dressing establishments, and 5 saw mills. Capital, Kingston.