Whitehall, a town and village of Washington co., New York, at the head of Lake Champlain, on the Rensselaer and Saratoga and New York and Canada railroads, 65 m. N. N. E. of Albany; pop. of the town in 1870, 5,564; of the village, 4,322; of the town in 1875, 5,039. It is connected with Troy by the Champlain canal. The village is situated at the entrance of Wood creek and Pawlet river into the lake, and steamboats ply daily during the summer between it and the other lake ports. The falls in the streams furnish ample water power. The principal manufacturing establishments are three saw and planing mills, three machine shops, a door factory, and seven boat-building establishments. There are six large lumber firms, and three banks. Two weekly newspapers are published. The village contains a graded free school, and Baptist, Episcopal, Methodist, Presbyterian, and Roman Catholic (one French and one Irish) churches. - The town was first settled in 1761 by Major Philip Skene, who gave it the name of Skenesborough. The name was changed to Whitehall in 1786. The Champlain canal was constructed from this point to Fort Edward in 1819, and completed to Troy in 1824.