Winona, a S. E. county of Minnesota, bordering on the Mississippi river, which separates it from Wisconsin, and drained by Whitewater river and several smaller streams; area, 638 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 22,319; in 1875, 27,385. It has a level surface, consisting mostly of rolling 'prairie diversified by woodlands. The soil is highly fertile. It is intersected by the Winona and St. Peter and the Milwaukee and St. Paul railroads. The chief productions in 1870 were 1,357,954 bushels of wheat, 273,477 of Indian corn, 598,871 of oats, 64,311 of barley, 79,074 of potatoes, 478,425 lbs. of butter, 10,615 of wool, and 16,944 tons of hay. There were 5,478 horses, 5,167 milch cows, 6,380 other cattle, 3,287 sheep, and 6,278 swine; 3 manufactories of agricultural implements, 6 of bricks, 13 of carriages and wagons, 2 of iron castings, 1 of lightning rods, 6 of sash, doors, and blinds, 13 flour mills, 4 breweries, 4 planing mills, 5 saw mills, and 2 railroad repair shops.
Winona, a city and the county seat of Winona co., Minnesota, the third city in size in the state, on the W. bank of the Mississippi river, 96 m. S. E. of St. Paul; pop. in 1855, 813; in 1860, 2,464; in 1870, 7,192; in 1875, 10,737. It is on a level prairie, surrounded by lofty bluffs, and has wide streets. The business portion is compactly built of brick and stone. The Winona and St. Peter, the St. Paul and Chicago, the Chicago and Northwestern, and the Green Bay and Minnesota railroads meet here. It is one of the most important lumber distributing points on the upper Mississippi, the sales in 1875 amounting to about $1,400,000. As a grain-shipping point it ranks among the first in the northwest, the shipments of wheat having increased from 1,203,161 bushels in 1862 to 3,159,716 in 1870, and to 5,890,645 in 1875. The manufactories include three large saw mills, five sash and door factories, six flouring mills, two founderies, several factories of agricultural implements, six of carriages, one of blank books, one of confectionery and vinegar, one of crackers, four of barrels, and a tannery. There are four national banks and a savings institution. The assessed value of property in 1875 was $4,852,594, about 60 per cent, of the real value. The city has excellent public schools.
The high school building cost $55,000. The first state normal school has a fine building costing $145,000. There are a daily and three weekly newspapers and 14 churches. - Winona was settled in 1851, laid out as a town in 1852, and chartered as a city in 1857.
First State Normal School.