Avola (anc. Abolla), a town of Sicily, on the E. coast, 13 m. S. W. of Syracuse; pop. about 8,000. It was rebuilt after its destruction by the earthquake of 1093. The exquisite honey, so renowned in antiquity as honey of Hybla, is still produced in its vicinity. Avola has a tunny fishery and a refinery for homegrown sugar.
Avon, the name of several English rivers, the most important of which, the Upper Avon, rises near Naseby, in Northamptonshire, flows through the counties of Leicester, Warwick, and Worcester, and entering Gloucestershire, empties into the Severn near Tewkesbury, after a course of about 100 m. Stratford, the birthplace of Shakespeare, is situated on the bank of this stream.
Avon Springs, a village of Avon township, Livingston co., N. Y., 19 m. S. S. W. of Rochester; pop. about 900. It is situated on a terrace 100 feet above the Genesee river, commanding beautiful views in all directions, and is reached by the Erie and New York Central railroads. The place is visited by large numbers in summer for its mineral waters, which are deemed beneficial in rheumatism, dyspepsia, and cutaneous diseases.
Avoyelles, a parish of Louisiana, intersected by Red river, which joins the Mississippi near its S. E. angle; area, 800 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 12,920, of whom 0,175 were colored. The surface is nearly level and is subject to inundation. The western portion is fertile. In 1870 the parish produced 175,330 bushels of Indian corn, 24,985 of sweet potatoes, 78,385 lbs. of rice, 10,139 bales of cotton, 325 hhds. of sugar, and 25,000 gallons of molasses. Capital, Marksville.
Avranciies, a town of France, in Normandy, capital of an arrondissement in the department of La Manche, situated on the See, within 3 m. of the sea and 00 m. S. of Cherbourg; pop. in 1800, 8,042. It stands upon a hill looking toward the Channel islands, and contains the remains of a fine cathedral, consecrated in 1121, and possessing the stone on which Henry II. of England knelt to do penance for the murder of Becket. The cheapness of living and attractive scenery of the town have made it a resort for English families. In the 14th century it came into the possession of the English, who retained it till 1450. Avranches has several public institutions, including a library, and some manufactures of lace and blonde.
Axel. See Absalon.
Axim, a town of Africa, coast of Guinea, at the mouth of the Ancober, 73 m. W. of Cape Coast Castle. Until the year 1642 it was oc-cupied by the Portuguese, when it was taken from them by the Dutch, who were confirmed in their possession by the treaty of Westphalia, and in 1872 ceded it with the remainder of their possessions in Guinea to Great Britain.
Axinite, a mineral occurring in fiat, prismatic crystals, with sharp edges, like an axe. It consists chiefly of silica, alumina, lime, and oxide of iron.