Cape B0ry, Or Ras Adder(anc. Hermceum Pro-montorium), a headland on the N. coast of Africa, at the N. E. extremity of Tunis, projecting into the Mediterranean in lat. 37° 4' N., Ion. 10° 53' E., E. of the gulf of Tunis and at the N. end of the peninsula of Dakhal.
Cape Bab-El-Mandeb (formerly called Jebel Manhali), a conical basaltic rock, 865 ft. high, on the N. side of the strait of the same name, between the shores of Arabia and Abyssinia. (See Bab-el-Mandeb).
Cape Blanco, Or Orford, a rocky headland forming the western extremity of Oregon, and extending into the Pacific in lat. 42° 45' N., Ion. 124° 45' W., about 25 m. N. of the mouth of Rogue river. It is the termination of the lofty ridge of the Umpqua mountains. A short distance S. of the cape is the harbor of Port Orford or Ewing.
Cape Boeo (anc. Lilyhmum Promontorium), the westernmost point of Sicily, 1 in. from Marsala. Being the point of the island nearest to Carthage, it became at an early period an important naval station. The naval victory of the Romans over the Carthaginians, 241 B. C, which put an end to the first Punic war, was gained near this cape.
Cape Bojador, a lofty headland of W. Africa, in hit. 26° 7' N., Ion. 14° 23' W. This cape is mountainous and rocky, being the western termination of the Black mountains, which extend eastward into the interior of Sahara, and as far northward as Cape Nun. The coast is very dangerous, being perpetually shrouded in mists, and strong currents setting in toward the land. For many years it interrupted the progress of the early Portuguese navigators, but was finally passed by Gilianes in 1433.
Cape Charles, a headland at the 1ST. entrance of Chesapeake bay, forming the S. extremity of Northampton co., Va. N. E. of it, on Smith's island, is a lighthouse with a revolving light; lat. 37° 3' N., Ion. 76° 2' W.
Cape Clear, a promontory rising 400 ft. above the level of the sea, on the S. side of Clear island, county Cork, Ireland. The island, which is 31 m. long and about 1 m. wide, contains a coast-guard station, a lighthouse 455 ft. above the sea, and a telegraph station. The lighthouse is in lat. 51° 26' 3" N., Ion. 9° 29' 20" W. On Fastnett rock, 3 1/2m. TV. by S. of Cape Clear, is another lighthouse 148 ft. above high water, which forms a landmark for American steamers. Cape Clear is the point from which ships leaving St. George's channel usually take their departure, and those arriving prefer making it their landfall.
Cape Coast Castle, a town and fort of Africa, capital of the British settlements in the Gold Coast colony; lat. 5° 7' N., Ion. 1° 13' W.; pop. about 10,000. The town is regularly built, in a well wooded but poorly watered district, and has a damp, unhealthy climate. It exports gold dust, palm oil, maize, ivory, and tortoise . shell. The settlement is governed by a president of council and subordinate officers. The fort, which is the best on the coast, stands on a granite rock projecting into the sea, and has near it two small outposts called Fort William and Fort Victoria. The British settlements here began in 1661.