Bent, a S. E. county of Colorado, bordering on Kansas; area, about 2,000 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 592. The Arkansas river forms the greater part of its S. boundary, and one of its branches, the Big Sandy, crosses the E. end.
Benzie, a N. W. county of Michigan, on Lake Michigan; area, 440 sq. m.; pop. in 1870,. 2,184. Crystal lake, a large body of water, is situated in the W. part The chief productions in 1870 were 8,900 bushels of wheat, 15,079 of Indian corn, 48,263 of potatoes, 658 tons of hay, and 40,508 lbs. of maple sugar. Capital, Benzonia.
Berahard Plockhurst, a German painter, born in Brunswick in 1825. He completed his studies under Couture in Paris. From 1865 to 1869 he was professor of painting in Weimar, and subsequently in Berlin. Among his works are "Mary and John returning from the Sepulchre," " The Adulteress before Christ," "Mater Dolorosa," and " The Resurrection".
Berat, Or Arnant Beligrad, a town of Albania, European Turkey, in the eyalet and 88 m. N. W. of the city of Janina, on the river Usumi; pop. about 10,000, of whom two thirds are Greeks and the rest Turks. It is the ..residence of an archbishop and of a pasha, who is lieutenant governor of central Albania. Mt. Tomor towers above it. The upper town contains the vizier's palace, several Greek churches, and about 250 houses. The lower town ismostly inhabited by Turks, and has numerous mosques and a good bazaar.
Berbera (anc. Mala), a trading place of Africa, on the S. shore of the gu]f of Aden, in the territory of the Somauii, and directly S. of Aden. In summer it is a spot of barren sand. In winter a market is held there, and it becomes a commercial city of more than 20,000 inhabitants, dwelling in tents. The market commences about Nov. 1, increases in activity till March, and closes in May. The export is mostly of cattle, sheep, gold dust, hides, coffee, myrrh, benzoin, ostrich feathers, elephants' tusks, and gum arabic, which are sent to Ber-bera from the interior. Vessels bring to it cotton and silk goods, beads, wire, sugar, rice, copper, iron, and zinc, from Arabia and other parts of Asia. The climate is wholesome, the water good, and the harbor excellent.
Bercy, formerly a French village, forming since 1860 part of Paris, on the right bank of the Seine; pop. about 14,000. There is a large trade in wine, brandy, oil, and vinegar, conducted by more than 1,000 wholesale dealers; and there are also sugar refineries, lumber yards, and tanneries.
Berdiaksk, a seaport town of Russia, in the government of Taurida, on the N. shore of the sea of Azov, and on the cape of Ber-diansk, near the mouth of the river Berda, 150 m. N. E. of Simferopol; pop. in 1867, 12,465. It has the best harbor on the sea of Azov, and carries on a large trade with Kertch. There are several tallow factories and brick kilns, a custom house, and a theatre. Near the town are valuable coal mines and two salt lakes from which large quantities of salt are made. The exports are grain, linseed, rape seed, hemp, butter, tallow, hides, and wool; the imports coffee, oil, olives, pepper, and fruits. In the vicinity are large colonies of Mennonites. Berdiansk in 1828 was an insignificant village, and owes its development to Prince Voron-tzoff. In 1855 the English and French fleets destroyed the Russian vessels in the port and burned the suburbs.