Breisgau, Or Brisgan, an old division of Germany, in the S. W. of Swabia. For a long time it was under the authority of the counts of Breisach, and subsequently under the dukes of Ziihringen. It was afterward added to the Austrian dominions, and by the treaty of Pres-burg in 1805 it was ceded to the elector of Baden, excepting a small portion assigned to Wurtemberg, and subsequently acquired by Baden. It contains 17 towns, among them Alt Breisach and Freiburg (Freiburg im Breis-gau). Iron, copper, and lead are extensively worked in Breisgau, and the forest districts are famous for the manufacture of clocks and other articles in wood.
Brendan, Or Brandanns, an Irish saint, died in 578. He founded religious establishments in Ireland and England, and is the legendary hero of voyages undertaken under the protection of an angel, narratives of which, in Latin and old French, were published in Paris in 1836, from original MSS. of the 11th or 12th century. Blommaert's Oudvlaemschen Gedichten (Ghent, 1838-'41) gave a version of another MS. said to have existed in old German. A Low-German dramatic version and German translation of the Latin appeared at the end of the 15th century.
The leader of the Senonian Gauls, who defeated the Romans at the Allia, and took Rome, about 390 B. O. Having quitted the city upon receiving a ransom for the capitol, he returned home with his gold. A popular legend, however, relates that a Roman army under Oamillus appeared at the moment the gold was being weighed, defeating and slaying Brennus and his followers. II. Another warrior of the same name was a leader of the Gauls who made an irruption into Macedonia and Greece, 279 B. C. Having defeated in the following year Ptolemy Ceraunus, and afterward Sosthenes, the chief who succeeded the Macedonian king, he crossed the pass of Thermopylae, and invaded the heart of Greece, but was repulsed in an attack on Delphi with great loss, and subsequently died by his own hand. - By modern historians Brennus is thought to have been, not a proper name, but merely a Gallic title signifying king, chief, or general.
Brentford, a market town of England, and nominal capital of the county of Middlesex, 7 m. W. S. W. of London; pop. in 1871, 20,279. It is situated on the Thames, is connected by a bridge with Kew, and stands on the line of the Great Western railway. Here are the water works of the West London company, with a chimney 150 ft. high. Near by is Sion house, the seat of the duke of Northumberland, and Osterley park, of the countess of Jersey. Although usually considered the county town, the magisterial business of the county is transacted at Clerkenwell. It has some trade, which is facilitated by the Grand Junction canal, connecting with the Brent river. The town takes its name from the ford, crossed at an early period by a bridge, in aid of which Edward I. in 1280 granted a toll for three years. In 1016 Edmund Ironsides, after driving the Danes from London, totally defeated them at Brentford; and here in 1642 Prince Rupert defeated the parliamentarians under Col. Ilollis.