Brest Litovsri (Pol. Brzesc Litewaki), a fortified town of Russia, in the government and 110 m. S. of Grodno, on the right bank of the river Bug; pop. in 1867, 22,793, of whom one half were Jews. It was formerly the capital of a Lithuanian palatinate, and contains an old castle, a Jewish high school, and a military school, and has a considerable transit trade. In 1794 Suvaroff here gained a victory over the Poles.
Brethren Of The Holy Trinity, a society founded in France near the close of the 12th century, whose members pledged themselves to give a third part of their revenues to procuring the redemption of Christians who had fallen captive to the infidels, and were in Mohammedan slavery. It was established by John of Matha and Felix de Valois.
See Celtic Languages and Liteeatuee.
Brevard, a S. E. county of Florida, bounded E. by the Atlantic ocean; area, about 5,600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,216, of whom 19 were colored. The surface is low and flat and dotted with lakes. The Kissimee river intersects the W. part, and empties into Lake Okeechobee, on its S. W. border. Low sand islands lie along the coast, between which and the mainland is a narrow sound called Indian river. The chief productions in 1870 were 38,650 bushels of Indian corn, 4,000 of peas and beans, 38,700 of sweet potatoes, and 6,450 lbs. of rice. There were 191 horses, 149 mules and asses, 69,390 cattle, and 4,550 swine.
Brian Walton, an English prelate, born at Cleveland, Yorkshire, in 1600, died in London, Nov. 29, 1661. He graduated at Cambridge, and before 1639 was prebendary of St. Paul's and chaplain to the king. He was active in ecclesiastical disputes, and in 1642 was summoned before the house of commons and ordered into custody as a delinquent. He took refuge at Oxford, and there formed the plan of his polyglot Bible. Subscriptions to the amount of £9,000 were made by May, 1653, and its publication was completed in 1657 (6 vols, fol., London). (See Polyglot.) He defended it against the strictures of John Owen in a reply entitled "The Considerator Considered" (1659). Upon the-restoration he was reinstated in his preferments, and was consecrated bishop of Chester, Dec. 2, 1660. He also wrote an Introductio ad Lectionem Linguarum Orientalium (London, 1654), and a Latin dissertation on the oriental languages and the various texts of Scripture (Deventer, 1658).
Briansk, a town of Russia, in the government and 70 m. W. N. W. of the city of Orel, on the right bank of the Desna; pop. in 1867, 13,881. The town has an imperial cannon foundery, arms manufactory, and arsenal, a convent and many churches, and carries on a brisk trade in grain, hemp, and linen.
Briareus, a renowned giant of Greek mythology, said by Homer to have been called Bria-reus by the gods, but by men AEgreon. He was the son of Coelus and Terra, and brother of Gy-ges and Cottus, and had like them 100 arms and 50 heads. When the inferior deities conspired against Jupiter and endeavored to dethrone him, Briareus rendered effective aid to the father of the gods; but when Briareus himself rebelled, he was put in durance under AEtna, which belched forth fire and flame as often as the monster struggled in his dungeon.