Bridgend, a market town of Glamorganshire, Wales, 17 m. W. by N. of Cardiff, 190 m. from London by rail; pop. about 3,000. It is beautifully situated in a fertile district on the Ogmore, which divides it into two parts called Oldcastle and Newcastle, connected by two stone bridges. The Welsh name of the place is Pen-y-Bont-ar Ogwr. Its general appearance is picturesque; the streets are irregular, and the houses mostly of stone and well built. The town is lighted with gas, and contains a new Gothic church and several other fine public buildings. Its chief support arises from its position as a market town placed between a mineral and an agricultural population. The river Ogmore is much resorted to for salmon fishing, and also for trout and a fish called the gwyniad, which is very abundant. About two miles from Bridgend are the extensive ruins of Coyty castle.
Bridgenorth, a parliamentary and municipal borough and town of Shropshire, England, on both sides of the Severn, 18 m. S. E. of Shrewsbury; pop. of the town and borough in 1871, 15,436, of whom 5,871 were in the town. It is said to be of Saxon origin, and was anciently called Brugia, Brug, or Bruges. The town consists of an upper and a lower part, connected by a handsome bridge of six arches. The upper town is built on a rock, on the summit of which stand an old castle and two churches. A free grammar school founded in 1503, a national school founded in 1847, a town hall of considerable antiquity, a public library, and a theatre are among the most notable buildings in the place. An extensive carrying trade is maintained on the Severn, and there are carpet manufactories and large mills for spinning worsted; tobacco pipes and nails are also manufactured.
Bridgetown, a city and the capital of Bar-badoes, situated on Carlisle bay at the S. W. end of the island; pop. about 24,000. It is about 2 m. long and half a mile wide, and is the principal port of the island. Besides many fine houses surrounded with extensive grounds, it contains a handsome square, called Trafalgar square, in which a bronze statue of Lord Nelson was placed in 1813. There are also a cathedral, a Jewish synagogue, numerous churches and schools for blacks and whites, a handsome market place, the barracks, and several hospitals. The town contains some excellent literary and scientific societies and good libraries; a free public library was established in 1847. Bridgetown is the residence of the bishop of Barbadoes and of the governor general of the Windward Islands. The town was founded about the middle of the 17th century, but was almost entirely destroyed by fire in 1766. It also suffered severely from fire in 1845.
Brieg, a town of Prussian Silesia, on the left bank of the Oder, and on the railway from Breslau to Vienna, 28 m. S. E. of Breslau; pop. in 1871, 15,367. It contains a castle, the residence of the old counts of Brieg, several churches, a synagogue, a lunatic asylum, a gymnasium, and an arsenal. Its fortifications were destroyed by the French in 1807. Its principal trade is in cloths, tobacco, and starch, and its cattle fairs are the most important in the province. There are extensive manufactories of linens, woollens, and cottons.