Chatellerailt, a town of France, in the department of Vienne, on the right bank of the Vienne, and on the railway from Paris to Bordeaux, 18 m. N. N. E. of Poitiers; pop. in I860, 14,278. It is one of the great centres of the manufacture of cutlery in France, which gives employment to about 600 families. There is also a national manufactory of side arms, established in 1820. There are important iron works, manufactories of jewelry, laces, and hardware. An active trade is carried on in the product of the country, and in lithographic stones obtained from the neighboring quarries. A fine stone bridge, constructed by order of Sully, and called by him Pont Henri IV., connects the town with the suburbs on the left bank of the Vienne. At the E. end of the bridge is a huge castle, flanked with four massive towers, with a lofty arch in the centre of the building, under which the high road enters the town.
Chatham Islands, a group in the Pacific, belonging to Great Britain, E. of New Zealand, between lat. 43° 40' and 45° 20' S., and lon. 170° and 177° 20' W. They consist of Wairikaori, or Chatham island, from 80 to 90 m. in circumference; Rangi-haute, or Pitt island, 12 m. long by 8 broad; and a number of others which are mere barren rocks. The W. shore of the largest island is undulating, and clad with vegetation to the water's edge; the N. shore is flat; the S. and part of the E. rocky and precipitous. There are several bays and some good harbors, which have been frequented by whalers ever since the discovery of the group by Broughton in 1791. Near the middle of the island is Tewanga lake, 25 m. long and 6 or 7 m. broad, S. of which the country is generally arable, the products being similar to those of New Zealand. The climate is mild and healthy. The aboriginal inhabitants are of the Malay race, and darker than the New Zealanders.
Chati (fells mitis), a leopard-like cat, smaller than the ocelots, with which it lives in South America. The general color is yellowish white, with black irregular patches along the back, becoming lighter toward the sides; the tail is partially ringed with black. Though very gentle and almost domestic in captivity, it is very destructive in its native woods to small quadrupeds and birds; it prowls about hen roosts, and is one of the farmer's worst enemies. It sleeps or hides by day, and comes out at night; it is so. active that no fence can keep it out, and so little that it can enter a very small aperture; it is also extremely wary and silent in its movements. Its native name is chibigauzu.
Chati (Felis mitis).
Chatre, La, a town of France, in the department of Indre, 20 m. S. E. of Chateauroux; pop. in 1806, 5,167. It is pleasantly situated on the left bank of the river Indre, and contains a primary tribunal and a communal college. The castle which defended it is now in ruins, but one of its towers is used as a prison.