A S. E. County Of Texas - Colorado, comprising one of the best cotton-growing portions of the state; area, 905 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 8,326, of whom 3,701 were colored. It has an abundant supply of timber, about one half the area being bottom land heavily wooded, or upland covered with post oak, live oak, etc. The soil is fertile and well watered by the Colorado and other streams. The Buffalo Bayou, Brazos, and Colorado railroad terminates at the county seat. The chief productions in 1870' were 130,423 bushels of Indian corn, 14,442 of sweet potatoes, and 2,796 bales of cotton. There were 2,751 horses, 4,370 milch cows, 26,125 other cattle, 2,987 sheep, and 6,280 swine. Capital, Columbus.
Colorado, Or Cobu Leubu, a river of the Argentine Republic, rising in the Andes about lat. 35° S., and flowing S. E. across the pampas through an imperfectly known country to the Atlantic, which it enters in lat. 39° 51' S., lon. 62° 4' W.; length about 600 m. By some authorities it is supposed to receive the waters of the Mendoza and the Desaguadero, which drain the great system of lakes in San Luis and Mendoza. It discharges through several mouths, the principal one having two fathoms of water at low tide. It is obstructed seaward by shifting sand banks. The tide rises at its mouth from six to nine feet. It is said to be navigable only about 120 m.
Colorimeter, an instrument for measuring the depth or color in a liquid by comparison with a standard liquid of the same tint. The comparison is made either by varying tho depth of the stratum of liquid under examination till it exhibits the same intensity of color as the normal liquid, and then measuring the depth of the stratum, or by diluting the stronger-colored liquid with water till equal columns of the two exhibit the same color.
Colossae, an important ancient city of S. W. Phrygia, on the river Lycus, an affluent of the Maeander. Xenophon speaks of it as being a large and flourishing place at the close of the 5th century B. C. At a still earlier period (481) Xerxes passed through it on his way to Greece. Colossas was famous for beautifully dyed wool, and carried on an extensive trade in that article. After the time of Cyrus the Younger it seems gradually to have fallen into decay. It was the seat of one of the earliest Christian churches, to which one of St. Paul's epistles is addressed. During the middle ages it was called Chonae. Khonos, a modern town on its site, is 120 m. S. E. of Smyrna.
Colquitt, a S. W. county of Georgia, bounded E. by the Withlacoochee river, and intersected by the Ocopilco and branches of the Ocklockonee; area, 600 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,654, of whom 137 were colored. The surface is level. The chief productions in 1870 were 24,132 bushels of Indian corn, 11,834 of sweet potatoes, 24,468 lbs. of wool, and 327 bales of cotton. There were 183 horses, 1,804 milch cows, 3,852 other cattle, 9,061 sheep, and 6,348 swine. Capital, Moultrie.