Elliott Cressojy, an American philanthropist, born March 2, 1796, died Feb. 20, 1854. He was a merchant in Philadelphia, and a member of the society of Friends. His attention was especially turned toward the Indian and negro population of the United States. At one time he proposed to become a missionary among the Seminoles of Florida, and afterward engaged in establishing the first African colony of liberated slaves in the territory of Bassa Cove. In the winter of 1838-9 he made the tour of the New England states as agent of the national colonization society, and he spent the next winter in a similar mission in the southern states. He visited England in 1840-'42, and again in 1850-53, in order to further the project of colonization. By his will he left about $122,000 to be distributed among various benevolent institutions, besides a landed estate of more than $30,000 to establish a home for aged or infirm merchants, and gentlemen who had become impoverished.
Ellwangen, a town of Wurtemberg, situated on the Jaxt, 55 m. N. E. of Stuttgart; pop. in 1867, 3,895, of whom about 700 are Protestants. It is the seat of the government of the circle of Jaxt, and has several schools and charitable institutions. The manufactures were formerly insignificant, but are growing in importance. Until 1802 it was the capital of the sovereign Benedictine provost of Ellwangen, who had a territory of about 140 sq. m. and an income of 120,000 florins. Near the town are the castle of Hohen-Ellwangen and a famous pilgrims' church.
Elmacin Elmacinus, Or Almakin, George (Known In The East By The Name Of Ibn Amid), an Arabian historian, born in Egypt in 1223, died in Damascus in 1273. He was a Christian, and held at the court of the sultans of Cairo the office of ketib or secretary. He wrote a history of the East, especially of the Arabs, from the creation of the world to the time of the crusades, a portion of which was published both in Arabic and Latin by Erpenius, at Leyden, in 1625; the Latin version was soon reprinted, and was followed by a French translation. A complete edition in Arabic remains in use among the Christians of the Levant.
Elmore, a S. E. county of Alabama, bounded E. and S. by the Tallapoosa river and intersected by the Coosa; area, about 550 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 14,477, of whom 6,730 were colored. The South and North Alabama railroad passes through the S. W. part. The surface is undulating and the soil fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 10,330 bushels of wheat, 198,371 of Indian corn, 18,078 of oats, 32,560 of sweet potatoes, 5,697 of peas and beans, and 7,295 bales of cotton. There were 944 horses, 1,411 mules and asses, 2,706 milch cows, 3,812 other cattle, and 8,286 swine; 9 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 1 of cotton goods, and 2 saw mills. Capital, Wetumpka.
See Oratory, and Voice.