Elizabeth Rowe, an English authoress, born in Ilchester, Sept. 11, 1674, died at Frome, near Bristol, Feb. 20, 1737. She was the daughter of a dissenting minister named Singer. She published " Poems on Several Occasions, by Philomela" (1696); "Friendship in Death, or Twenty Letters from the Dead to the Living" (1728); "Letters, Moral and Entertaining, in Prose and Verse" (1729-'33); "Joseph, a Poem" (1736); and "Devout Exercises of the Heart," published after her death by Dr. Isaac Watts. Her "Miscellaneous Works, in Prose and Verse," were published in 1739 (2 vols. 8vo).
Elizabeth Thompson, an English painter, born in London about 1850. In 1874 she acquired great fame by her "Roll Call," relating to the Crimean war, which was purchased by the queen. In the summer of 1875 she exhibited another military picture, and at the close of the same year, on her return from Italy, a " Vintage Sketch in Tuscany".
Elko, the N. E. county of Nevada, bordering N. on Idaho and E. on Utah; area, 13,800 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 3,447, of whom 439 were Chinese. The sources of the Humboldt and Owyhee rivers are in this county. The land is high and much of it suitable for farming and grazing. Silver is mined to some extent, and gold, copper, and lead are found. Three quartz mills for the production of silver are in operation. The chief productions in 1870 were 4,535 bushels of wheat, 30,560 of barley, 9,841 of potatoes, and 406 tons of hay. Capital, Elko, a station on the Central Pacific railroad.
Ellicott City (formerly Ellicott's Mills), the county seat of Howard co., Maryland, situated on both sides of the Patapsco river, partly in Baltimore co., about 10 m. W. of the city of Baltimore and on the Baltimore and Ohio railroad; pop. in 1870, 1,722, of whom 355 were colored. The water power is excellent, and supplies several flour mills and manufactories. The town is the seat of St. Charles college (Roman Catholic), organized in 1848, which in 1871 had 12 professors and instructors, 180 students, and a library of 4,000 volumes. Rock Hill college, also a Roman Catholic institution, organized in 1857, had in 1872 22 professors and instructors, 156 students, and a library of 6,800 volumes. The town was settled in 1774 by the brothers Andrew and John Ellicott, whose large flouring mills here at one time held precedence in extent and perfection over all similar establishments in the country. It was incorporated under its present name in 1867.
Elliott, an E. county of Kentucky, drained by Little Sandy river and the N. fork of the Licking; pop. in 1870, 4,433, of whom 22 were colored. The surface is broken by hills containing coal and iron ore. The chief productions in 1870 were 8,261 bushels of wheat, 171,389 of Indian corn, 21,600 of oats, and 12,-024 of potatoes. There were 908 horses, 1,083 milch cows, 2,129 other cattle, 6,835 sheep, and 6,493 swine. Capital, Sandy Hook, or Martinsburg.