Kolomna

Kolomna, a town of Russia, in the government and 63 m. S. E. of the city of Moscow, near the confluence of the Moskva with the Oka, and on the great central railway; pop. in 1867, 19,890. It has an old citadel, a flourishing industry, and an important trade in provisions. In 1237 the Russians suffered here a crushing defeat by the Mongolians under Batu Khan.

Komgshutte

Komgshutte, a town of Prussia, in the province of Silesia, formed in 1869 by the consolidation of the former domain of Konigs-hutte, which in 1864 had only 1,144 inhabitants, and several adjacent domains, 100 m. S. E. of Breslau; pop. in 1871, 19,546. It is one of the chief centres of the mining industry in the eastern portion of Prussia, and is the seat of a mining board which is subordinate to the supreme mining board of Breslau. The produce of raw iron amounted in 1870 to about 1,000,-000 cwt. About 3,000 workmen are employed in the government coal mines, which produce about 16,000,000 cwt. annually.

Komorn

See Comorn.

Kongsberg

Kongsberg, a town of Norway, in the province and 45 m. S. W. of the city of Christiania, at the foot of the Jonsknuden mountain, and near the Larbrofos waterfall, on the Laagen river; pop. about 5,000. It contains a handsome church, and is renowned for its silver mines, the only ones in Norway. They were discovered in 1623, and are worked by the government, which has established here the mint and mining department, powder mills, and smelting works for manufacturing cobalt and reducing and refining the silver ore. The annual yield of silver exceeds 30,000 lbs. A specimen of native silver found in the principal mine, which is 180 fathoms deep, measuring 6 ft. long, 2 ft. broad, and 8 in. thick, is in the Copenhagen museum; and other enormous masses have been found at various times.

Koniggratz

Koniggratz (Boh. Hradec Kralove), a fortified town of Bohemia, at the junction of the Adler and the upper Elbe, 65 m. E. by N. of Prague; pop. in 1870, 5,515. It is the capital of a large circle, has four suburbs, and is the seat of a bishopric. It contains an old palace and a fine cathedral, and musical instruments, gloves, wax candles, and other articles are manufactured. It is famous for the victory achieved in its vicinity, July 3, 1866, by the Prussians over the Austrians, generally known as the battle of Sadowa. (See Sadowa.)

Koniginhof

Koniginhof (Boh. Kralodvor), a town of Bohemia, on the Elbe, 62 m. N. E. of Prague; pop. in 1870, 6,222. In the spire of the parish church the Rukopis Kralodvorsky ("Manuscript of Koniginhof"), a collection of epic and lyric Bohemian poems, was discovered in 1817 by Hanka. Many critics doubt its genuineness, while others, including Palacky, assign its origin to the end of the 13th or the beginning of the 14th century.

Konigstein

Konigstein, a town of Saxony, at the confluence of the Biela with the Elbe, 18 m. S. E. of Dresden; pop. about 3,000. It is noted for its picturesque situation opposite the fortress of Konigstein, a formidable stronghold upon a mass of rock 800 ft. high, on the left bank of the Elbe. The fortress is accessible only through a strongly defended passage on the northwest. A well, cut in the solid rock to a depth of 600 ft., supplies the garrison with water, and casemates, likewise excavated, contain storehouses for provisions. By virtue of the military convention of Feb. 7, 1867, it was partly garrisoned by Prussians. According to the German constitution of 1871 the commander is appointed by the emperor, though the garrison now consists exclusively of Saxon soldiers.