Legnago, a fortified town of Italy, in the province of Verona, on the Adige, 50 m. from its mouth, 26 m. E. of Mantua, and 22 m. S. E. of Verona; pop. about 10,000. It forms with Verona, Peschiera, and Mantua the famous quadrilateral of fortresses, of which it is the S. E. angle, and is the least important. The town is on both banks of the river, which is here crossed by a wooden bridge. It contains a gymnasium, a theatre, and a hospital, has manufactories of hats and fine leather, and is an important depot for agricultural produce, especially rice, which is extensively cultivated in the surrounding district. The original fortifications were largely the work of San Mi-cheli. The French were defeated here in 1701, but captured the place on Sept. 13, 1796, and demolished the works, which the Austrians afterward rebuilt. A canal connects the Po at Ostiglia with the Adige at Legnago.
Legnano, a town of Italy, in the province and 16 m. N. W. of the city of Milan, on the river Olona; pop. about 6,500. It is on both sides of the river, which is crossed by two stone bridges, contains three churches and a hospital, and has manufactures of silk and cotton fabrics and dye works. The emperor Frederick Barbarossa was defeated here by the Milanese, May 29, 1176.
Leipa, a town of Bohemia, on the Bolzen, 41 m. N. by E. of Prague; pop. in 1869, 9,244. It has a gymnasium, and a flourishing industry, the principal manufactures being cloth, linen, steel ware, cotton goods, and vinegar. The town suffered severely during the Hussite, thirty years', and seven years' wars.
Leitha (Ilun. Lajta), a river of Austria, an affluent of the Danube. It rises at Haders-werth, in Lower Austria, constitutes for some distance the boundary between the two divisions of the Austro-Hungarian monarchy, which on that account are designated as Cisleithania and Transleithania (see Austria), and falls near Altenburg, in Hungary, into a branch of the Danube. On the right bank of the Leitha are the Leitha mountains, 1,600 to 2,400 ft. high.
Leitmeritz (Boh. Litomerice), a town of Bohemia, on the right bank of the Elbe, which is crossed here by a long bridge, 33 m. N. W. of Prague; pop. in 1870, 10,023. It is partly fortified and beautifully situated, and is the capital of a circle which, on account of the extent, fertility, and beauty of its gardens, is called the Bohemian paradise. It contains a magnificent cathedral founded in 1054, 11 other churches, a fine episcopal palace surrounded with walls, a town hall with extensive archives, a theological seminary, a gymnasium, a normal and other schools, several convents, and a nunnery. Straw hats and leather and other articles are manufactured; the shipping business and the fisheries, particularly in salmon, are important; and the trade is active in fruit and also in grain. The best Bohemian wines are produced in this district, and much of the Bohemian glass is polished here.