Louise Florence Petronille De La Live D' Epinay, a French authoress, born in 1725, died April 17, 1783. She was unhappily married, and while yet young became the mistress of Jean Jacques Rousseau, for whom she built in 1755 his celebrated "Hermitage," and with whom she lived till he became jealous of Grimm, introduced to her by himself. He was also jealous of her friends Diderot and D'Holbach. She lived in seclusion for the last 25 years, but maintained intimate relations with Grimm, and during his absence from France continued, under the guidance of Diderot, his literary correspondence with the sovereigns of Europe. She wrote an educational work entitled Conversations d'Emilie, to which a prize was awarded by the French academy in 1783. Her Memoires et correspondance (3 vols., Paris, 1818) contains many letters of Rousseau, Diderot, and Grimm, and abounds with information on French society and character in the 18th century.
See Epizoa, vol. vi., p. 695.
Louth, an E. county of Ireland, in the province of Leinster, bordering on Armagh, Down, the Irish sea, Meath, and Monaghan; area, 314 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 84,198. The surface in the north is rugged and mountainous, elsewhere level and undulating, and the soil gen-rally fertile. The principal towns are Droghe-da and Dundalk. The village of Louth, 7 m. S. W. of Dundalk, contains the ruins of a celebrated priory founded by St. Patrick.
Louth, a market town of Lincolnshire, England, on the Lud, 25 m. N. E. of Lincoln; pop. in 1871,10,500. It has two established churches, eight places of worship belonging to other denominations, a free grammar school and several other endowed schools, a mechanics' institute, a savings bank, and several charitable institutions. The chief manufactures are carpets, worsted, soap, and oil cake. It is connected by canal with the Humber.
See Berry, Charles Ferdinand.
Louviers, a town of Normandy, France, in the department of Eure, on the river of that name, 17 m. S. by E. of Rouen and 60 m. N. W. of Paris; pop. in 1866, 11,707. One of the first improved cloth manufactories in France was established here in 1681, and cotton spinning was introduced in 1789. It now contains about 40 cloth manufactories, employing in and about the town some 6,000 operatives. Among its principal public edifices is the cathedral, partly built during the crusades, and the maison des templiers, a Gothic building of the 13th or 14th century. Louviers was in the middle ages surrounded by fortifications. In 1196 a treaty of peace was here concluded between Philip Augustus and Richard Coeur de Lion. During the 14th century it suffered severely, and was several times taken and lost by the English. It joined the league, and when Rouen fell into the hands of the Huguenots, its parliament assembled at Louviers.