Peligm, an ancient people of central Italy, of Sabine origin, who occupied a very small territory between the Marrucini, the Marsi, Samnium, and the Frentani. They were renowned as warlike, like the Marsi reputed as magicians, and long warred against the Romans, but together with their neighbors concluded a peace with the republic about the end of the 4th century B. 0. In 295 they attacked the Samnite army on its retreat from the battle of Sentinum, and killed 1,000 of the fugitives. During the second Punic war they furnished their usual quota to the Roman army, and sent volunteers to Scipio besides. They played a principal part in the social war, one of their chief towns, Oorfinium, near the Aternus, being selected by the allies as the future capital of Italy, and therefore surnamed Italica. They were finally subdued in 89 B. C. by C. Pom-peius Strabo, the father of Pompey the Great.
Pelion, in ancient geography, a mountain range of Thessaly, extending along the coast of Magnesia, and forming the promontories of Sepias and AEantium. On the north it is connected by a low ridge with Mt. Ossa. Pelion has a broad and extended outline, well contrasted with the steeply conical shape of Mt. Ossa. Its eastern side rises precipitously from the sea, and on this rocky shore the fleet of Xerxes was lost. On its summit was a temple of Jupiter Actseus, and near this was fabled to be the cave of the centaur Chiron. It is still distinguished for its magnificent forests. In their war with the gods, the giants are said to have attempted to scale heaven by piling Pelion and Ossa on Olympus, or Ossa and Olympus on Pelion. The name Plessidhi is now applied to the N. W. summit of Pelion, which rises to a height of about 5,300 ft.
Pellegrino Tibaldi, otherwise called Pelle-grino Pellegrini, an Italian artist, born in Bologna in 1527, died in Milan about 1598. At 20 years of age he visited Rome, where he studied the works of Michel Angelo, and was employed by Cardinal Poggio to decorate his palace in Bologna. In 1586 he was invited by Philip II. to Spain, and during a residence there of nine years executed frescoes in the Escurial, besides many pictures. He was also an architect; his best architectural designs were the modern facade attached to the cathedral of Milan, and the Casa Professa, or house of the Jesuits, in Genoa.
The K W. County Of Minnesota, bounded N. by British America, and separated on the west from Dakota by Red river; area, about 7,000 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 64. On the northeast it borders on the Lake of the Woods. It is watered by tributaries of the Red and Rainy Lake rivers. The valley of Red river contains much good farming land.
The N. E. County Of Dakota, bordering on British America and Minnesota, being separated from the latter by Red river, and watered by Pembina and Park rivers, affluents of the Red; area, about 2,500 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 1,213. The bottom lands of Red river are very productive and well adapted to wheat. Capital, Pembina.