Pillau, a seaport of Prussia, in the province of Prussia, 26 W. by S. of Konigsberg, on the Baltic, at the entrance of the Frisches Haff, and on a tongue of land called the Paradise on account of its fine situation; pop. in 1871, 2,909, exclusive of the garrison. It is the port of Konigsberg for large vessels, a third class fortress, a favorite watering place, and one of the most important Prussian seaports. It has a school of navigation, and captains and pilots are examined by committees sitting at Pillau. The shipping business has more than doubled within the last generation. The present town was founded in 1722, but Old Pillau, a village 1 m. N. E. of it, is much older, as is also the fortress.
Pillnitz, Or Pilnitz, a village of Saxony, on the right bank of the Elbe, 7 m. S. E. of Dresden; pop. about 600. The royal family reside here during the summer months. In its palace the emperor Leopold II. and Frederick William II. of Prussia met in August, 1791, and concerted the preliminaries of a coalition to oppose the progress of the French revolution, and enforce the regal rights of Louis XVI.
See Iron Mountain.
Pima Dei Greci, a town of Sicily, in the province and 10 m. S. S. "W". of the city of Palermo; pop. about 7,000. A settlement of Albanian refugees from Turkey was formed here in the latter part of the 15th century, the free exercise of their religion being guaranteed, and they still retain the Greek ritual, though acknowledging the pope. A few of the men still wear the fez, and most of the women preserve the picturesque Albanian costume. All of them speak chiefly Albanian, and live in Albanian fashion.
See Georgia Bark.
Pine Snare (Pituophis Melanoleucus), a large serpent living in the pine lands from New Jersey southward. It attains a length of 6 ft. and a thickness of 2 in. The color is shining creamy white, with dark brown and chestnut blotches. Though large it is harmless, and it is perhaps the handsomest of the eastern snakes. It feeds on mammals, birds, and eggs; it emits a strong disagreeable odor. It is sometimes called bull snake, from its loud bellowing sound.
Pinerolo, Or Pignerol, a city of Piedmont, Italy, on the Clusone, in the province and 20 m. S. W. of the city of Turin; pop. in 1872, 16,730. It has a cathedral and five other churches, and manufactories of silk, wool, cotton, liqueurs, vermicelli, etc. It came into the possession of the house of Savoy in 1042, but was several times conquered by the French, who held it from 1536 to 1574, from 1631 to 1696, and from 1796 to 1814. The conquerors during the 17th century considerably strengthened its fortifications, but dismantled them on being obliged to give it up. The Man in the Iron Mask is said to have been for a time confined in the citadel here.