See Santo Domingo.
San Fernando, a city of Andalusia, Spain, 7 m. S. by E. of Cadiz, on the Isla de Leon; pop. about 18,000. It is joined to the mainland by an ancient Roman bridge, and between it and Cadiz extend vast salt marshes. Salt, rum, liqueurs, leather, and soap are manufactured. The town was founded about 1750, and in 1808 had 40,000 inhabitants. Two miles distant is the suburb of San Carlos, with the residence of the captain general and several public establishments.
San Jacinto, a river of Texas, rising in Walker co. and flowing S. S. E. into San Jacinto bay, an arm of Galveston bay; length about 120 m., of which 45 m. are navigable. It is deep and clear. Near its mouth, on April 21, 1836, was fought the decisive battle of San Jacinto. (See Houston, Sam).
San Jacinto, a S. E. county of Texas, bounded N. E. by Trinity river, and drained by small tributaries of the San Jacinto; area, about 500 sq. m. It has been formed since the census of 1870. The surface is undulating and the soil very productive. Capital, Cold Spring.
San Juan Del Norte, Or Greytown San Juan De Nicaragua, a port of Nicaragua, on a promontory near the mouth of the river San Juan, on the Caribbean sea, in lat. 10° 56' N., lon., 83° 45' W.; pop. about 300. The houses, none of which have more than two stories, are now in a state of decay. San Juan derives its chief importance from being the principal port of Nicaragua on its E. coast. It was occupied by a British force in 1848 as belonging to the "Mosquito kingdom," became prominent as the terminus of the Nicaragua transit in 1853, when its inhabitants organized an independent municipal government, and was secured to Nicaragua by treaty with Great Britain in 1860. It was bombarded in 1854 by a naval force of the United States, on a charge that its inhabitants had infringed upon the rights of the transit company. Since then its harbor has become nearly choked with sand.
San Lucar De Barrameda, a city of Andalusia, Spain, situated in a barren district at the mouth of the Guadalquivir, in the province and 18 m. N. by W. of the city of Cadiz; pop. about 16,000. It contains many churches and convents, and a hospital founded in 1517 by Henry VIII. of England for British sailors. Cotton and silk goods, leather, soap, and barilla are manufactured. The chief export is wine. It serves as a seaport to Seville.
San Luis Obispo, a S. W. county of California, bounded W. by the Pacific, E. by the Coast range, and S. by the Guaymas or Santa Maria river, and drained by the head waters of Salinas or Buenaventura river; area, about 3,000 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 4,772, of whom 59 were Chinese. The surface is partly mountainous, and the soil fertile. Gold, silver, coal, and limestone are found; there are bituminous springs, and a celebrated warm sulphur spring. The chief productions in 1870 were 38,864 bushels of wheat, 25,982 of Indian corn, 126,-604 of barley, 16,519 of peas and beans, 903,-863 lbs. of wool, 156,340 of butter, 341,259 of cheese, and 5,714 tons of hay. There were 4,485 horses, 4,813 milch cows, 15,899 other cattle, 191,909 sheep, and 3,319 swine. Capital, San Luis Obispo.