Trimble, a N. county of Kentucky, bordering on the Ohio river; area, 150 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 5,577, of whom 456 were colored. The surface is generally hilly and the soil fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 31,-848 bushels of wheat, 209,060 of Indian corn, 38,216 of oats, 12,647 of potatoes,' 658,465 lbs. of tobacco, 10,676 of wool, 24,370 of butter, and 1,268 tons of hay. There were 1,906 horses, 1,064 milch cows, 1,882 other cattle, 3,043 sheep, and 6,512 swine. Capital, Bedford.
See Sea Cucumber.
Tripoli, an earthy substance, originally procured from Tripoli in Africa, used as a polishing material, of fine sharp grain, yellowish gray or whitish, burning white. It consists almost entirely of silica, and when examined by the microscope is found to be composed of the exuviae or skeletons of infusoria, the families of which are readily recognized. Specimens of it from Bilin and Franzensbad in Bohemia, Santafiora in Tuscany, and Mauritius have been examined by Ehrenberg. The substance has sometimes been confounded with the English rotten stone.
Tripolitza, Or Tripolis, a town of Greece, in the Morea, capital of the nomarchy of Arcadia, 22 m. S. W. of Argos; pop. of the demus in 1870, 11,477. ' It is in a plain about 2,000 ft. above the sea, and owes its name to its being the modern representative of the three cities of Mantinea, Tegea, and Pallantium, which occupied the same plain. Before the revolution it was the residence of a Turkish pasha and capital of the Morea, and had 20,000 inhabitants. The Greeks took it in 1821 and put the inhabitants to the sword; 8,000 male Turks perished, besides women and children. In revenge, Ibrahim Pasha in 1825 destroyed every house in the place. It has been partially rebuilt. The ruins of Mantinea may be seen at Paleopoli, about 6 m. N., and of Tegea at Piali, nearly the same distance S.
Tripp, a S. county of Dakota, bordering on Nebraska, recently formed and not included in the census of 1870; area, about 1,500 sq. m. It is intersected in the south by the Keya Paha, and watered in the north by Dog's Ears creek, an affluent of White river. In the S. part is Turtle hill, 2,340 ft. high. It consists mostly of undulating prairies.
Triptolemus, in Greek mythology, a son of Celeus, king of Attica, and Nesera, also called Metanira or Polymnia (according to another account, of Oceanus and Ge). He was born at Eleusis, and while still young was cured of a dangerous illness by Ceres, who had been hospitably entertained by his father, and attempted to render his brother Demo-phon (according to others, himself) immortal by burning out whatever particles of mortality he had derived from his parents. (See Ceres.) The goddess taught him agriculture, and gave him her.dragon chariot, in which he rode over the earth, spreading knowledge of the art. He afterward reigned at Eleusis, and was the hero of the Eleusinian mysteries.