Carinthia (Ger. Karnthen), a duchy in the Cisleithan half of the Austro-Hungarian monarchy, bounded N. by Salzburg and Styria, E. by Styria, S. by Carniola and Italy, and W. by Tyrol; area, 4,006 sq. m.; pop. in 1871, 337,694, of whom 69 per cent, were Germans and 31 per cent. Slovens, the latter living mostly S. of the Drave. It is a mountainous tract of country, the highest point being the Grossglock-ner, 12,776 ft. The Drave is its principal river, and the lake of Klagenfurt or Worth-See the only considerable lake. There are some manufactures, and a considerable trade in grain and cattle, but the principal wealth of the country is mineral. It produces annually about 1,340,-000 cwt. of raw and cast iron, 72,000 of lead, and 20,000 of zinc. The total value of the mineral products is 6,300,000 fl. The industry is almost confined to the manufacture of metals, especially iron ware. The diet consists of the Landeshauptmann, the bishop of Gurk, and 27 delegates. Capital, Klagenfurt.