Carlovitz (Slavic, Karlovic; Hun. Karlo-ticz), a town of Transleithan Austria, in the Slavonian division of the Military Frontier, on the Danube, 8 m. S. of Peterwardein; pop. in 1869, 4,419. It has a cathedral, three churches, an Oriental Greek gymnasium, and a Roman Catholic academy. There is a brisk transit trade and fisheries, and an extensive export trade in wormwood and wine, the quantity of the latter exported in some years amounting to 1,800,-000 gallons. The neighboring vineyards yield excellent qualities of Hungarian wines. The Car-lovitz red wines are especially renowned. The town is the seat of a Greek archbishop. A peace was concluded here in 1699, for the term of 25 years, between Austria, Poland, Russia, Venice, and Turkey, by the mediation of England and the Netherlands. By the terms of this treaty, Austria received Transylvania and most of the Turkish possessions in Hungary; Russia, Azov; Poland received back Podolia and the Ukraine, but ceded some Moldavian towns; Venice retained the Morea, and Turkey remained in possession of the banat of Temesvar. During the revolutionary era of 1848-9, Car-lovitz and its vicinity were the focus of the Serb rebellion against Hungary, and the theatre of collisions between the Serbs and the Magyars and the latter and the Austrians.