Tehernovitz, Or Czernowice Czernowitz, the capital of the Austrian crownland of Bukowina, on the Pruth, 450 m. E. of Vienna; pop. in 1870, 33,884. It stands on a hill overhanging the river, and has broad clean streets, with gardens and vineyards. It has a theological institution belonging to the Greek church, and the new cathedral is the finest building in the town. The former bishopric of Czernowitz was in 1873 made an archbishopric, with jurisdiction over the Greek church in Cisleithan Austria. There are also several Roman Catholic churches. The manufactures are inconsiderable, the most important being silver ware and hardware. The principal trade, which consists in the raw products of the country, is almost exclusively in the hands of Armenians and Jews. Czernowitz is connected by railways with Lemberg, Jassy, and Galatz.
Telemachus, a legendary Greek prince, son of Ulysses and Penelope. When Ulysses went to Troy, Telemachus was an infant. About the time for the father's return the son made an unsuccessful endeavor to eject the suitors for his mother's hand, and then set out to seek information of his father. Accompanied by Minerva, in the guise of Mentor, a faithful friend of Ulysses, he visited Pylos and Sparta, and was kindly received by Nestor and Mene-laus. Returning home, he found his father with the swineherd Eumpaeus, disguised as a beggar, and aided him in slaying the suitors.
Telfair, a S. county of Georgia, bounded S. and W. by the Ocmulgee and N. E. by the Little Ocmulgee river; area, 925 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 3,245, of whom 1,145 were colored. The surface is level and the soil sandy, with extensive pine forests. The Macon and Brunswick railroad intersects the N. part. The chief productions in 1870 were 62,429 bushels of Indian corn, 15,823 of oats, 20,569 of sweet potatoes, 19,829 lbs. of wool, and 704 bales of cotton. There were 497 horses, 2,563 milch cows, 6,946 other cattle, 8,475 sheep, and 7,477 swine. Capital, Jacksonville.
Teliosts, a name given by J. Muller to the common bony fishes from their well ossified skeleton; the term has been taken by Huxley for one of his orders. They comprise the ctenoids and cycloids of Agassiz.
Temes, a S. E. county of Hungary, in the Trans-Tibiscan circle, watered by the Temes and Bega; area, 2,289 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 356,174, mostly Roumans and Serbs, and about two thirds belonging to the orthodox Greek church. The soil is very fertile, but the climate is unhealthful. The chief products are wheat, maize, hemp, flax, fruit, wine, and cotton. Cattle, sheep, pigs, and bees are raised.
Temesvar, a city of Hungary, capital of the county of Temes, on the Bega canal, connecting it with the Danube at Belgrade, 75 m. S. S. W., and 155 m. S. E. of Pesth; pop. in 1870, 32,754, chiefly Germans. It consists of the town proper, which is strongly fortified, and four suburbs, including the village of Mehala. It has been much improved by the draining of marshes. It has fine Catholic and Greek cathedrals, a magnificent synagogue, an arsenal, a theological seminary, a Catholic gymnasium, and a normal school. Leather, cloth, and other articles are manufactured. - The origin of the city is traced to the Romans. The Turks held it, despite a number of sieges, from 1552 to 1716, when it was rescued by the Austrians, under whom it became the capital of the Banat. In 1849 it was besieged for several months by the Hungarians, who were signally defeated here on Aug. 9 by Haynau. A monument was erected in commemoration of this siege, during which the city suffered severely.