Chemung, a S. county of New York, bordering on Pennsylvania, bounded E. partly by Cay-uta creek, and intersected by Tioga river; area, 513 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 35,281. The Northern Central and the Erie railroads traverse the county, and the canal from Elmira to Seneca lake partly intersects it. The surface is uneven, and in some places rises into considerable mountains. The country near the river banks is level and alluvial, and these flats are in some places extensive and very fertile. The chief productions in 1870 were 162,434 bushels of wheat, 215,305 of Indian corn, 480,161 of oats, 116,152 of buckwheat, 138,573 of potatoes, 50,066 tons of hay, 1,203,401 lbs. of butter, 48,983 of wool, 475,905 of tobacco, and 33,933 of honey. There were 5,217 horses, 12,257 milch cows, 7,968 other cattle, 15,257 sheep, and 6,990 swine. There were 26 manufactories of carriages and wagons, 4 of boots and shoes, 1 of forged and rolled iron, 4 of tobacco and cigars, 4 of woollen goods, 17 flour mills, 9 tanneries, 32 saw mills, 2 manufactories of bricks, 4 of cheese, 1 of rectified petroleum, 2 of drugs and chemicals, 7 of furniture, 1 of hardware, 5 of iron castings, 3 of machinery, and 3 breweries.

Capital, Elmira.