A S. E. county of Georgia, bounded N. by the Ocmulgee river, S. W. by the Allapaha, and intersected by the Satilla and its branches; area, 1,000 sq. m.; pop. in 1870, 3,192, of whom 678 were colored. The surface is level and sandy. The Macon and Brunswick railroad touches the N. E. corner, and the Brunswick and Albany railroad passes through the S. part. The chief productions in 1870 were 49,022 bushels of Indian corn, 19,- 949 of oats, 45,996 of sweet potatoes, 15,845 lbs. of rice, 42,366 of wool, 261 bales of cotton, and 12,231 gallons of molasses. There were 403 horses, 3,925 milch cows, 10,384 other cattle, 16,036 sheep, and 12,779 swine. Capital, Douglas. II. A S. E. county of Alabama, watered by Pea river; pop. in 1870, 6,171, of whom 1,020 were colored. The former area was 900 sq. m., but portions have been taken to form Crenshaw and Geneva counties. The surface is somewhat hilly, and the soil generally poor. Pine timber grows in great abundance. The chief productions in 1870 were 121,352 bushels of Indian corn, 28,254 of sweet potatoes, 2,004 bales of cotton, 13,098 gallons of molasses, and 8,975 lbs. of rice. There were 617 horses, 2,142 milch cows, 5,346 other cattle, 4,059 sheep, and 9,433 swine.
Capital, Elba. III. A central county of Tennessee; area, 320 sq. m.; pop. in 1870,10,237, of whom 1,501 were colored. It has an elevated and hilly surface, and a fertile soil. It is traversed by the McMinnville and Manchester railroad. The principal productions in 1870 were 43,-075 bushels of wheat, 10,226 of rye, 309,503 of Indian corn, 25,462 of oats, and 30 bales of cotton. There were 2,506 horses, 1,881 milch cows, 2,979 other cattle, 8,107 sheep, and 17,-226 swine; 3 flour mills, 5 saw mills, 1 paper mill, 1 distillery, and 2 wool-carding and cloth-dressing establishments. Capital, Manchester.