Greenport , a village and port of delivery in the town of Southold, Suffolk co., N. Y., on the S. side of the N. E. point of Long Island, 95 m. E. N. E. of New York; pop. in 1870, 1,819. It has an excellent harbor at the entrance to Peconic bay, capacious enough for the largest ships, and seldom obstructed by ice. Coasting vessels are owned here, and there are several ship yards. The village contains seven churches, two newspaper offices, a stereotype foundery, a national bank, a public school, and four large hotels. It is the E. terminus of the Long Island railroad. Great quantities of oil are manufactured in floating and stationary factories, from menhaden or bunkers. Torpedo fireworks are extensively made, chiefly by Germans and their children. For a few years past Greenport has been rapidly rising in importance as a summer resort and watering place, on account of its superior facilities for boating, fishing, and bathing. A large hotel was erected on the S. side of the bay in 1872, and a still larger one has lately been completed near by.